Ganache Prep Time?

Decorating By misse10 Updated 27 Oct 2014 , 8:44am by mcaulir

misse10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misse10 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 2:58am
post #1 of 4

i'm preparing to ganache a cake (for under fondant) for the first time and would like to do things as late as possible in the week to ensure the cake is fresh for the sunday christening. Is it possible to make ganache in the morning and have it firm enough to ganache the cake by the afternoon/evening?  I'm then planning to fondant the following morning - does that sound ok?

3 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 3:36am
post #2 of 4

AYep. Try to let it rest for a couple of hours. Should be fine :).

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 4:25am
post #3 of 4

AI make ganache just before I get the kids up in the morning - about 6:50-7ish, I pour it onto metal trays to cool faster, I take the kids to school, I'm back at 9 and the ganache is ready to work with. Of course it depends on the weather, but give yourself a few hours leeway and you'll be fine.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 8:44am
post #4 of 4

It depends on the weather as well - it can set in a couple of hours, but I just wouldn't risk it.

Ganache is fine for weeks at room temperature. You can taste absolutely no difference between ganache made 6 hours ago, and ganache made 24 or 36 hours ago.

IMO, it's far more important for it to be set sufficiently to work with, than to be 10 hours' fresher.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%