Does Candy Melts Dry Stiffer Than Ri?

Decorating By jemchina Updated 9 Nov 2014 , 10:08am by Magic Mouthfuls

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 4:19am
post #1 of 6

AI'm planning on making some lightly decorated sugar cookies. I'm in a bind and need to be finished with them by Thursday for travel on Friday. I'm wondering how it would work to decorate them with Candy Melts versus RI or buttercream. I have dipped cookies before in melted chocolate but found that it melted in your hands, and don't really like the taste of RI. Since I'm hand carrying them and traveling by plane I'm wondering if Candy Melts might be a better and sturdier option.

If anyone has tried this before , would you be able to post a picture?

5 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 1:34am
post #2 of 6

Candy Melts will act as just like chocolate - so much softer than Royal Icing that is set/dried - and will also melt at body temperature.  The main difference between Candy Melts and Chocolate is the fat used - vegetable oil vs cocoa butter.   

I would only use buttercream inside 2 cookies sandwiched together, not as a top decoration.

You could also decorate your cookies with fondant (there are chocolate flavoured fondants) - roll and cut out with cookie cutters.  I make the fondant decorations first, and put on the hot cookie within seconds of coming out of the oven.  The heat melts the sugar and acts like glue.  If putting on a cold cookie use royal icing, piping gel or sugar glue as your glue.

All the best to you.

jemchina Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 6

thank you...I think i will use fondant then, and take your advice on laying when hot. :)

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 6

I've used candy melts to decorate cookies before.  The animal print K cookies are "iced" with chocoalte melts:

It worked beautifully, and is a great option if you don't have time to let royal icing dry.  I posted my tutorial here, if you'd like to see how I did it:  http://tikkido.com/node/946

jemchina Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 2:33am
post #5 of 6

AThank you those look awesome! I ended up baking the cookies, and applied the fondant while still warm. After they cooled for several hours, I placed them in a treat bag, and layered between bubble wrap. In a strong box. They made it through the 6 hour flight perfectly, not one damaged. I later decorated them right before the party. They were a hit! [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3303235/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 10:08am
post #6 of 6

Very cute.  Love the concept.  Well done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%