Customer Won't Respond...do I Still Make The Cake

Business By mtwisty Updated 30 Oct 2014 , 6:48pm by Fahrenheit

mtwisty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtwisty Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 1:42am
post #1 of 7

Customer ordered a cake for Nov 2nd. On 10/22 she calls saying she needs it on the 10/31 and changed several other things in her order. She was supposed to send me photos that I could turn into edible images and use on her cake.

I told her I didn't get he images and to please email them to me again. That I'd check later in the evening and confirm if I received them. I checked but didn't get the pictures so I emailed her on the 22nd to let her know I didn't get them. She never responded.

On the 23rd I emailed her again documenting/confirming all the things she wanted changed with her cake order. I then texted her to let her know to be on the look out for an email. She never responded

So on the 24th I called her to sort out all the new details. Didn't answer her phone, I left a message, she never responded.

It's the 25th and I haven't gotten any response.

Since I still need items from her in order to complete her order I'm not sure what to do.

Should I proceed with making the cake?

Should I call again and say if I don't hear from you by ____ I'll consider that as your cancellation?

Or should I just assumer her silence is b/c she no longer wants the cake?

6 replies
dirtycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dirtycakes Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 1:52am
post #2 of 7

AYou shouldn't have to hunt her down. You have called and emailed, I would leave it at that. IF you have a contract and a deposit for the original date of 10/22, I might give her til Monday to respond. But if she doesn't respond or contact you by Monday then I'd consider the order cancelled, keep the deposit and that's that. If there is no contract, no deposit to hold the date then I wouldn't waste one more second hounding her. Book something else. Your time is too valuable.

Fahrenheit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fahrenheit Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 1:52am
post #3 of 7

ATell her that her order is canceled

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 2:51am
post #4 of 7

AIf she paid you, you have a customer. If she's only written to you without any type of deposit or payment you don't have a customer, you have an inquiry. Doesn't matter how many times she's written, no payment for a custom cake = no customer. I can go into LaZboy furniture and tell them that I'm going to buy a chair every day this week, but they're not going to make me the chair until I pay for it.

Write her one more time and tell her you're assuming that she doesn't need the cake since she hasn't responded to your deadlines or paid for the.

mtwisty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtwisty Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone. She has paid the deposit.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtwisty 

Thanks everyone. She has paid the deposit.

If it's non-refundable all you need to do is write and say that since you haven't heard back from her or received the balance payment by the deadline you won't be doing her cake, and she'll forfeit the deposit. that, strangely enough, makes people respond back very quickly. :wink:

Fahrenheit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fahrenheit Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 7

AAny update?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%