Wholesale Purchasing??

Decorating By Corinne77 Updated 24 Oct 2014 , 12:23am by Natka81

Corinne77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corinne77 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 11

I am finally official - zoning, license, LLC, tax ID #... I'd like to start purchasing wholesale products (i.e. fondant for cheap!) but not sure where to look. Can anyone point me in the right direction? 





10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 11

just depends on how big you are -- the people with the big trucks who deliver require a high $ commitment  --


i worked for a place that did several millions in food service yearly and they bought cake mix from wal-mart -- ordered it in advance -- you just gotta watch it -- butter at sam's club is $3.30 a pound but that's currently beating the local grocery store price -- check locally for restaurant supply places if you're not buying in huge quantity -- oh yeah restaurant depot too


you can set up an account at ck's in indiana and avoid your local cake stores except for emergencies -- 



johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 11
Originally Posted by Corinne77 

(i.e. fondant for cheap!)

Wholesale often equals BULK. Can you use up the product before it goes bad? Or, do local "retail" coupons, like 40-50% off at Michaels or Hobby Lobby do it? 


I always seem to drive by there, so I stop in and get on every time I pass. Sucks on time management if you run a big bakery business, but if I am there anyway... I do it. 


So little by little, or in large quantities.... and check ebay sometime too (not food, but tools). 


Oh, and CK products has a $125 minimum. Hard to get that always...

Corinne77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corinne77 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks K8Memphis! Trying to apply at CK Products, but they're asking for a Permit # and I have no idea what that's for. Maybe my zoning permit? We're not required to have vendor licenses in my county in VA. If you know, can you reply?


-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 11

when i applied i had to give my state tax id # if memory serves -- it's your state's permission to be a business and to charge/collect and most importantly pay them taxes -- yeah you said you got your tax id -- that's it --


because 'they' check on everything and make sure it all adds up -- ck can get in trouble for selling to un-authorized buyers who of course will not be charged sales tax on ck's end because the buyers are supposed to be re-selling and charging the appropriate sales tax to their clients -- so providing your tax id ensures that ck is complying with tax laws --

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 11

but of course in the case of equipment purchases say from ck's or restaurant depot you have to declare them and pay tax anyhow -- but -- oh god it gets complicated and i'm already thinking of 20 variations --


it's your tax id # :-D

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 11

Or they may be looking for your SS# or an EIN#  ... the number you use when filing your tax return. Call and ask them to be specific.


(EIN is an Employer ID Number - you do not have to be an employer and it's very easy to get one. Apply online, it takes only a few minutes.)   

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 11

AWhen I applied for a wholesale account with them they needed my sales tax ID for the state to make sure I was really buying wholesale for resale. But I agree with @mimifix, call and ask them, they'll tell you for sure.

Corinne77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corinne77 Posted 22 Oct 2014 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 11

Got word back from CK Products - Here is what they said...


"The permit number is for any local licensing that may be issued.  If this doesn't apply to you enter NA (not applicable) to bypass this field."


Hope this helps anyone else with the same question :-)





-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Oct 2014 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 11

does that mean your business license #?

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 12:23am
post #11 of 11

Corrine77, are you from Virginia? When I applied for accounts at CKproducts and Bakery Crafts the wanted State Sales Tax ID number. This number you get when you register with Virginia Department of Taxation. 

When you get this number you have to file  you sales and pay your taxes every month and collect taxes from customers.

Tax types are: Sales and Use & Litter Tax 

Tax Id number is not EIN.

Quote by @%username% on %date%