Mmf Vs Regular Fondant

Decorating By julia1812 Updated 19 Oct 2014 , 6:58am by bubs1stbirthday

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 8

AI always use marshmallow fondant. It easy to make, tastes good and stretches beautifully. Recently I've done a similar fondant to what I have seen is called the "Michelle Foster recipe", like regular rolled fondant. It was okay and costs are lower making it, although it is quiet sweet. Anyway, I find it this weekend particularly hard to do what I want. It's not stretching at all, actually tears when I pull it and is sort of crumbling even after kneading lots of shortening in. Which kind of fondant do you use and have you ever had the same problem with what I call "regular fondant"?

7 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 8

I have had similar problems with M Foster's fondant.  I also like marshmallow fondant, but really only use fondarific for cakes that have to look pristine.  I find that MMF just doesn't hold up as well.

beth1234567890 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth1234567890 Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 8

If you add about 2 tsp. of glycerin to your fondant it should make it stretchy. I always add it to this recipe

http://cakestylist.wordpress.com/2007/07/19/marshmallow-fondant-recipe/   it always comes out very nice. 

dirtycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dirtycakes Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 3:31am
post #4 of 8

AI made my own fondant for a minute, but lack of consistency the few times I did make it led me back to using premade. Deco-rama is my #1 choice and Fond-X works a pinch. Both are always smooth and elastic enough without being too soft. I want ALL my cakes to look pristine.

Best of luck to you!

julia1812 Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 4:20am
post #5 of 8

AThanks, but I can't buy premade fondant here unfortunately...that's why I'm constantly looking around to improve my homemade recipes.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 4:26am
post #6 of 8

Hi :-) In the following thread there is a recipe posted by costumezcar and it is great - super easy to make and easy to work with, I used to make MM fondant and I didn't like it, I tried MFF and I really hated it but this stuff is great.  http://www.cakecentral.com/t/775913/ready-made-fondant-vs-homemade

julia1812 Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 6:40am
post #7 of 8

AThank you, bubs1stbirthday, I'll give it a try... Have you used it yourself? Is it stretchy?

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 6:58am
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia1812 

Thank you, bubs1stbirthday, I'll give it a try...
Have you used it yourself? Is it stretchy?

Yes I have used it quite a few times. I find it to be quite stretchy, yes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%