Friday Night Cake Club For 10/17/14

Decorating By catlharper Updated 18 Oct 2014 , 11:16pm by OTcakes

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 2:40am
post #1 of 14

Opening up another session of the FNCC. Everyone is welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can! Hope to see lots of great cakes tonight!

Cat

13 replies
catlharper Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 2:47am
post #2 of 14

Hi everyone!

This week I started work on a Halloween cake for next week and I also got to make my own birthday cake. People always think I'm nuts to make my own cake but I get to do fun stuff with it and everything is MY way. This year I decided to learn a new skill and so I learned how to make modeling chocolate and I have to say I love it! I was really scared of trying it since I've never even worked with the premade version before but it was actually very easy! I even made fondant in case I felt like I needed to mix some in for working with it but I didn't! Anyways, here's the cake (click on it to see the big version)

So the outside is all modeling chocolate fans. The cake is chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream. It's topped with crushed oreos, chopped white and dark chocolate and drizzled with home made caramel sauce. I'm not even sure how I'm going to cut it! LOL!

Tomorrow is my actual birthday but since there are only 3 of us (we celebrated with the family last weekend) we are going to cut it tonight and then have more tomorrow night after a special dinner. Can't wait!

Cat

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 3:14am
post #3 of 14

Happy Birthday Cat, I too have an October birthday , mine was on the seventh. I refuse to make my own birthday cake and have a pact with another decorator friend to make each others. Hers was a special birthday this year , that I did a Giant cupcake for as well as a blackforest cake for another one of her celebrations.  Mine was  a white cake , with latte flavoured SMBC this year, with rice paper flowers and pretty edible glitter. 

I did a Ferrari cake this week , it is on my facebook page if anyone wants a look, I still can't manage to upload photos on here from my phone. 

Have a happy weekend everybody. 

Yours in Icing, 

Chelle. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 3:42am
post #4 of 14

Happy Birthday @catlharper :party:   Your cake looks scrumptious !!

Cool Car @Mimimakescakes  love the dark red!!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 3:55am
post #5 of 14

AHappy birthday, Cat. I can understand why you make your own cake

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 6:36am
post #6 of 14

AHappy birthday cat!! Hope your family spoils you rotten today! Hehehe and your cake looks delish!!! Yumm :) never tried modelling chocolate, does it taste like chocolate? Does it behave like fondant?

Anyway, here's mine. A Hello Kitty 1st birthday cake for a friend's daughter.

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3295819/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3295822/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 14

Happy Birthday to both Cat and Chelle.  That cake looks scrumptious.  You are so lucky Cat that you don't have to share it with a whole pile of people.

Chelle, I should copy your car for my hubby.  It's as close to getting a ferrari as he is ever likely to get.

So much patience, Julia, cutting out all those Batman pieces.

And I must say, Matty, that I absolutely love all the bright colors in your cake.  Might do one like that for myself and dub it Happy Wednesday or something.

I'm still puddling along with my frangipanis for the wedding next week.  Dad survived his operation, but daughter ended up in hospital last weekend.  Still, the cupcake maker has been advised on how to ice the cupcakes and all the frangipanis for those are done.  The frangipani spray for the top cake is half done with the frangipanis wired together, just waiting for the leaves.  The stressful part will take place during the week and then I may have some pictures.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 14

ACazza1, what a relief

catlharper Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 14

Good Morning everyone...Yup, up early on my birthday. Our son has a special karate class he can't skip (for his black belt) and my hubby has to work so that leaves me! 

Chelle...LOVE the Ferrari..and yes, I have guys who would love that one too. Hope you had a great time celebrating your birthday. My daughter (also a caker) says she loves when someone else makes her cake...pressure off of her...so I make her an elaborate one every year. 

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. I get to have lots of fun today with family and friends so I'm sure it will be very good.

Julia...LOVE the Batman cupcakes...especially the one with Batman on them! Wow!

Mattyeatscakes...Love your bright Hello Kitty cake..I know way too many adults who would love that too! My cake is delish! We cut it last night after dinner (so we'd have two nights of cake!) and it is Death by Chocolate! The modeling chocolate tastes like soft chocolate...not melted, just soft. Yummy! And while it doesn't stretch like fondant it does feel like it and you work with it like it. The great thing is when you cut out a piece with a cutter and let it sit for just a few moments, it doesn't stretch out of shape when you pick it up! The other great thing is that it molds very easily with just the warmth of your fingers so, unlike gumpaste, it's very easy to get it to do what you want it to do and stay that way.

Cazza...relieved to hear about your Dad but now your daughter! Hope everyone is well soon! Can't wait to see the cupcakes!

Cat

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 14

AHappy Birthday Cat!

Chelle hope you had a good one. Love the Ferrari cake someone asked me if I could do one and I said no.

Julia love the batman cupcakes.

Matty I love the Hello Kitty cake and the bow is great.

Cazza I am looking forward to seeing the frangipanis. Glad your dad is well and hope your daughter is better soon.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 14

AThanks every one! It's always fun to check out this thread every week. Everyone's so friendly and i love admiring everyone's cakes! It's like a little cake family :)

Cazza, get well soon to your dad!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 14

@julia1812 your batman cupcakes are great!! you picked perfect colors for that theme.

@mattyeatscakes  Your cake is delightful, very festive!!

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks MB, it is Satan Ice red .  I don't really like working with it but mixing red from scratch takes too long for that size cake. Julia so much patience to do that many intricate designs. Batman looks great , Our Jack would love them he is three and superhero obsessed. 

Matty your cake just makes me happy , it is gorgeous. 

Thank you , I did have a wonderful birthday , I was thoroughly spoiled and surrounded by family and friends.  

Cazza , Copy away. Glad Dad is doing okay. Sorry your daughter is not doing so well.   Just keep pedalling Sheena , on those frangis. Can't wait for photos. 

Marian, cars are really easy , once you have done one you will find that you won't know what you are worried about. 

There is a great tutorial on  howtocookthat.net . It shows you how to do the board so the car sits up with clearance underneath . It has templates as well .  It is about five dollars but totally worth it. I use the board template all the time.  I wish I had found it before  I had done so many cars and had to work it all out myself. 

OTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OTcakes Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 11:16pm
post #14 of 14

Cat, happy birthday! Your cake looks delish!

Julia, great job on the cupcakes!

Matty, your Hello Kitty cake looks adorable!

Here's my cake for this week...it's a cars-themed 1st birthday cake for a friend.

34nqurm.jpg 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%