Revolutionizing Cake Delivery

Decorating By lunawhisper0013 Updated 17 Oct 2014 , 5:00am by Pastrybaglady

lunawhisper0013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunawhisper0013 Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 2:29am
post #1 of 3

I was discussing with my boyfriend a dilemma that I am going to be facing soon of having to deliver a wedding cake to a venue that will require me to drive up a very steep road. I was explaining to him the problems that may occur with such a delivery. He sat quietly, thinking it over, then told me that he could build a device that would mount in the back of my van that would allow me to drive up or down hill and have the cake on it remain level. I was a bit skeptical but when he started to explain how it would be built and how it would function, I really started to think that he was on to something. He asked me if I thought that the design would be marketable and if the market was worth him trying to patent/produce it for the caking public.

My question to you is: Would you want something like this for your delivery vehicle? Is it something you would consider to be a sound investment for your business?  

I can't go into details of the design and won't know for sure what it would cost until he actually makes it but we would both be interested in your feedback about such a device.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 2:39am
post #2 of 3

i've designed one with a gyroscopistic/gyroscopial/gyroscopational (pick one ;) type mechanism that will maintain orientation and keep it level -- i don't think it's very marketable because i think it will cost too much -- and since there's other ways to do it, for me i would not purchase one besides i'm retired anyhow --

so it's a no for me

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 5:00am
post #3 of 3

I was just talking to my husband about this very topic a few days ago.  I had suggested some kind of hanging device that would always hang perpendicular like a plumbline.  Several years ago someone devised a bowl for kids snacks that always remained level - the gyroscopic principle Kate was talking about.  He said they use something like that for compasses on ships.  He said the parts would cost over $100.  Interesting to think about.  It would be marketable if you think beyond cake delivery.  Come up with as many applications as you can and you will more likely find sellers.  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%