White Wedding Sprinkle Cake?

Decorating By cake4court Updated 15 Oct 2014 , 9:24pm by Apti

cake4court Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4court Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 14

has anyone seen a wedding sprinkle cake done in all white/clear/or silver sprinkles? Cannot find a pic of one. I did find a gold and white small cake and lots of colored sprinkle cakes...

13 replies
craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 12:00am
post #2 of 14

I saw this week in the gallery that someone did a white 5 tier wedding cake with sanding sugar and hydrangeas. There was a waterford crystal ball at the top, it is so pretty: http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/3293909/this-cake-was-super-tall-we-coated-the-entire-cake-in-sanding-sugar-the-hydrangeas-were-fresh-there-is-a-very-heavy-waterford-crystal-vase-on-the-top/ by cupadeecakes

cake4court Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 1:23am
post #3 of 14

wow yes thinking of a similar look to that! so pretty its glittery like but more low key ;)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 14

I did one with sanding sugar on the sides once and I felt really bad the whole time, knowing how unpleasant it would be to eat. It's not a user-friendly design but it's pretty to look at.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 14

I found this:

cake4court Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 14

oooh yeah I think that is so pretty and elegant looking! Yeah texture probably isnt wonderful tho. Thanks you guys!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 14

If you do use the sanding sugar I was reading something yesterday that will probably be helpful for you when applying the sugar. I can't remember what the thread was called but it was a 'how to' on putting sprinkles on the side of a cake.

You take a piece of baking paper the same size as the side of your cake (or part thereof if doing a large cake I imagine) and lightly spray with cooking oil. Then you pressed the paper into the sprinkles and then pressed the sprinkles onto the cake. Repeat until you get the desired concentration of sprinkles. Apply spray oil lightly onto the paper as needed.

Such a clever idea that would make it so much easier to do these sorts of things :-)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 12:09am
post #8 of 14

I did a bunch of those cakes when I was in the wedding biz.  It looks much better in crystal sugar than sanding sugar though.

cake4court Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 2:33am
post #9 of 14

I did see that thread :) so cool!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 4:39am
post #10 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

I did a bunch of those cakes when I was in the wedding biz.  It looks much better in crystal sugar than sanding sugar though.

What is the difference between crystal and sanding sugar?  I tried a google search, but couldn't tell much difference.  Can one or both of these sugars be used on fresh (not crusted) buttercream? 

@costumeczar~~ Would it make the cake taste yucky or have a weird texture?

Here's a quick tutorial I found:  Using Sanding Sugar on Cakes

http://cakesbyerin.ca/using-sanding-sugar-on-cakes/

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 9:26am
post #11 of 14

ACrystal sugar has a much larger grain and more sparkle. Wilton makes Sparkling Sugar and other companies call it crystal sugar.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 9:30am
post #12 of 14

sanding sugar is just colored table sugar, essentially.  The large 'course' crystal sugar is that wonderful  sugar that you find on Christmas Butter Cookies in those lovely tins.  The big crunchy stuff that looks so decorative and festive.  It's much larger than sanding sugar.

Spritz butter cookies     those giant red sugar crystals on the bottom two cookies are course sugar.  The blue sugar on the blue cookies are course sugar also.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 10:58am
post #13 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

What is the difference between crystal and sanding sugar?  I tried a google search, but couldn't tell much difference.  Can one or both of these sugars be used on fresh (not crusted) buttercream? 

@costumeczar~~ Would it make the cake taste yucky or have a weird texture?

Here's a quick tutorial I found:  Using Sanding Sugar on Cakes

http://cakesbyerin.ca/using-sanding-sugar-on-cakes/

I think I used the crystal sugar if I remember correctly. It would just affect the texture of the icing, you'd get a big mouthful of crunchy rough sugar, not fun.

I'm just not a fan of putting things like that on the outside of the cake if it's on buttercream. At least on fondant people have the option of peeling it off if they don't want to eat it. It's the same thing as all these wafer paper ruffles I'm seeing now (those are my new pet peeve). I did some a while ago to experiment, and when wafer paper gets damp so that you can mold it, it stiffens up when it dries, so it's hard and crunchy. You'd have to peel the entire thing apart to cut it unless you want the cake to crack and peel off as you're cutting the cake. It's not worth the look, just make the ruffles out of fondant or candy clays. The sanding sugar or crystal sugars are crunchy when you're chewing them, so it's not appetizing to me personally. Some people might like it, but eww, no. It looks nice but I'd put it on fondant, not buttercream, if I was going to do it again.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you everyone for the specific replies.  I appreciate the information! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%