How To Make Nutella Swiss Meringue Buttercream Not Too Sweet?

Baking By mmhassa2 Updated 14 Oct 2014 , 3:29am by winniemog

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

So I always follow this recipe and wondering to make half a batch how much of the sugar should I take out so the frosting doesnt become overly sweet as I'll be adding jar nutella to it. 

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/swiss-meringue-buttercream-demystified/

Actually while I'm at it, I find this recipe above become overly sweet the moment you add any flavoring to it, be it raspberry jam, chocolate chips, nutella etc.  Its great as a plain vanilla frosting but I would appreciate an actual amount of sugar I should be adding if I plan to flavor it. 

4 replies
Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 12:05am
post #2 of 5

I've been reading a ton of different SMBC recipes lately and the proportions vary wildly.

This one has the smallest ratio of sugar:butter that I've seen. Since nutella is so sweet I would use this recipe or possibly even less sugar than this:

6.25 oz egg whites (by weight, not liquid volume. Could be 5 eggs, could be 7, for best results always weigh if you can).
7 oz sugar (or 1 cup)  
pinch of salt
1 lb of unsalted fine quality butter

That said, I'm completely obsessed with this technique for SMBC:

No whipping the egg whites! It puzzled me why you'd whip them and then turn around and beat fat into them since that's the kryptonite of stiff egg whites.

sleaky77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleaky77 Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 2:30am
post #3 of 5

I am going to try that SMBC, next time. Can't wait :)

Inga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inga1 Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 2:43am
post #4 of 5

Can't wait to try that new version of SMBC! Sounds terrific!

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 3:29am
post #5 of 5

A

Original message sent by Cevamal

6.25 oz egg whites (by weight, not liquid volume. Could be 5 eggs, could be 7, for best results always weigh if you can). 7 oz sugar (or 1 cup)   pinch of salt 1 lb of unsalted fine quality butter

This is the ratio I use. Everyone comments on how my icing is "not too sweet". I've added lots of extras to this. I use about 7-8 oz melted dark chocolate (Callebaut 811, it's 53.5% cocoa solids so not extremely dark) for choc SMBC. Also use Nutella, can't remember how much exactly - a good scoop? - it's to taste really. Everyone loves that too. The babysitter ate the last tub I had in the fridge....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%