How To Make Silhouette People

Decorating By angelad2356 Updated 9 Oct 2014 , 1:00pm by embersmom

angelad2356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelad2356 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 11

Hello all, I am donating a cake to a cancer event for auction. They want it a 50'/60's theme, so I need disco dancers etc. I have read that some use patchwork cutters. Anyone know where in the Durham region (in Ontario Canada) I could get some for a good price or how I could easily and quickly make these. I have 4 cakes to do in that same week so time is limited. Also do you think I can make these ahead of time wrap them really good so they do not dry out before use? 

Thank you in advance for your help!! 
Angela

10 replies
SanChan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SanChan Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 11

Hello.

You can probably find pictures on google images.

Just check for copyrights.

HTH

Sandy

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 11

disco dancing was primarily the 70's :-D

the 50's & 60's was rock & roll, elvis, the beatles, the hula hoop, the slinky (invented in the 40's but was big in the 50's because it was advertised on tv) 45 records, poodle skirts, side burns for guys flowing into long hair with the hippies, free love, peace, love & groovy, corvairs etc.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 11

AFree love kate?? is that really appropriate for a cake?? lol :D

OP your best bet is google images 'silhouette' followed by Kates suggestions.... cut them out then roll some procoloured black flower paste/gum paste about 1/4 inch thick and cut around your templates with a scalpel/exactoknife.... no need to wrap them once cut if you make them ahead... the harder they dry the better!

Ha ha ha I just googled 'silhouette free love'........ if I get a pink slip from the boss tomorrow Kate I'm blaming you!!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

Free love kate?? is that really appropriate for a cake?? lol icon_biggrin.gif

OP your best bet is google images 'silhouette' followed by Kates suggestions.... cut them out then roll some procoloured black flower paste/gum paste about 1/4 inch thick and cut around your templates with a scalpel/exactoknife.... no need to wrap them once cut if you make them ahead... the harder they dry the better!

Ha ha ha I just googled 'silhouette free love'........ if I get a pink slip from the boss tomorrow Kate I'm blaming you!!

yeah whoops probably not omg -- i forgot about the silhouette thing when i discarded disco -- just was the theme of the 60's early 70's -- like beads and hippies, long hair and haight ashbury and granola and health foods and black light, patchouli oil, etc. 

do not get fired and quit googling at work you're gonna get me in trouble  :lol:

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 11

AYou just descibed my mother....... right down to the patchouli oil! lol

-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 11

love me some patchouli oil -- she and i are probably peers then -- 

here's the question, gray, didja google poodle skirts or corvair?  :-D

angelad2356 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you all for your help, greatly appreciated. Thank you Kate for correcting me on the disco theme, would not have been a good thing to send a cake with the wrong theme...when I searched on 50's/60's stuff a lot of disco stuff came up...I should have known better ;-)  

If anyone has done one of these themed cakes please send me one for ideas..I would appreciate it.

I was thinking of a 2 layer tier cake one layer with rock and roll the other with flower power, think that was in at that time right?

Thanks again!!

Angela

-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 11

yes flower power and rock & roll --

wow i just thought of this juicy cake by m.braun 

when you said flower power

angelad2356 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 11

Hahaha, this is a awesome cake, however it would take me forever to do that one. I tend to over-think what I am doing so it takes me longer.Any other suggestions ;-)

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 1:00pm
post #11 of 11

I wish I had bookmarked the site, but I recently came across a round cake either iced or covered in pink.  There were gymnastic silhouettes around the sides and a gumpaste silhouette as a topper.  I thought it was very clever in its simplicity.  Something to consider :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%