Does 50/50 Mix Of Fondant And Modeling Chocolate Set Hard?

Decorating By bubs1stbirthday Updated 10 Oct 2014 , 5:01am by bubs1stbirthday

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 2:32am
post #1 of 6

I mixed up a batch and I am wondering if it sets like either modelling chocolate or fondant? I made a flower yesterday and the petals thinned and ruffled so beautifully but it is still soft and bendy, holding the petal ruffles but the flower does not hold itself up.

I also made a thicker 'Italian Greyhound' dog from a mix of 80/20 modelling chocolate and fondant and it set up when I put it in the fridge for a minute but collapsed on itself when I held it up out of the fridge. 

Thankyou.

5 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 6

You probably needed to have Tylose in the Fondant.  I know modeling chocolate hardens but fondant unless it has Tylose it will not harden.

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 6

When making flowers or figures with modeling chocolate and/or fondant, I don't recommend putting them into the fridge afterwards as the fridge is a moist environment that will eventually cause the decorations to grow slimy and bendy. It's important to keep flowers and figures dry until the last possible minute both when using fondant and modeling chocolate or any combination of the two.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 6

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. The flower has finally set - I don't know if the dog would have set, lol, unfortunately for the dog I ate it.

I made up another flower and added tylose to the mix - at a higher amount than I would usually put into the straight fondant and it helped set it up a lot better.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Oct 2014 , 12:29am
post #5 of 6

@bubs1stbirthday The mama bear and cubs were made out of a 50% modeling chocolate & 50% fondant (no tylose), and it was soft as could be.  It was perfect for molding in the detailed silicone mold, but it would not hold it's own weight.  It's glued to the side of the fondant covered cake to hold it up.  So my guess would be a 'no' on it holding it's own weight-shape, and I think it's because of the fondant.

http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/3186955/a/3416236/grizzly-bear-and-cubs-on-fondant/

just out of curiosity, how did you come to mixing MC & fondant for flowers?

bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Oct 2014 , 5:01am
post #6 of 6

Thanks MB - Super cute mold :-) .

I actually was just having a play with it because I have something that I want to use it for on my Birthday cake (lol still months away, practice practice practice) and I decided to play around with making flowers to see what it would be like to use.

The 50/50 is great to work with. super flexible and thins like you wouldn't believe but it just took forever to set and would need to be left in the mold with any and all supports left in for all that time too. Though adding the Tylose did seem to help with that.

I also used it to put some ruffles on a cake just for fun and they ruffled beautifully and held the ruffle really really well - no tearing like what always happens to me with fondant but so much more flexible than modelling chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%