Vintage-Y Colors

Decorating By SeeChicletRun Updated 6 Oct 2014 , 2:18am by SeeChicletRun

SeeChicletRun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeeChicletRun Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 3

I am wanting to make a smaller version of this cake for a friends birthday. I am not a professional baker so my knowledge is a bit limited, especially when it comes to anything past the standard Wilton colors. Can anyone suggest a color/brand to get this beautiful ecru/ivory color? Also the dusty rose? Do you all think there is maybe a luster dust or a pearl sheen added as well? I am thinking it might be a buttercream cake, not fondant, those top angles are so sharp, I think that might be above my experience level :(

Sorry for the eleventy-billion questions!  It is such a beautiful cake, and suits my friend perfectly, I don't want to screw this up.  Any advice, pointers, etc would be greatly appreciated!

2 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 3

AIf you can get Wilton colours their ivory is nice. And if you start with an ivory base for the flowers and add your regular colours you will get vintagey end results.

Sharp edges with fondant take a little skill and lots of practice, and a good base underneath such as ganache or well chilled buttercream.

The lustre would have either been dusted on all over with a big soft (new) make up type brush, or sprayed with airbrush or from a can of bought pearl colouring.

Good luck, I'm sure your friend will love it!

SeeChicletRun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeeChicletRun Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 2:18am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for the info and tips! I will let you know how it turns out :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%