Friday Night Cake Club For 10-3-14

Decorating By catlharper Updated 8 Oct 2014 , 4:46pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 1:08pm
post #31 of 34

Ajames, i'm sorry for your mom's passing please accept my sympathy -- i hope the memorial brings many blessings and sweet memories for all --

[CENTER]~~~~~[/CENTER]

what a lovely bunch of baking you are doing for the memorial -- and yes the teeniest variance can bring about a big change in results like the thickness of your pan -- rather the thinness in this case --

and oh for sure all that stuff's gotta be washed -- even if a pan sits for a while in my house/bakery without being used i give it a wash when i use it--

best to you and yours

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 3:43pm
post #32 of 34

Well, I keep my Bundt mold in a zip-top bag, when not in use. And I store my nice, heavy-duty Nordic Ware 9x13 (the one that has become my go-to pan for decorated sheet cakes) with the domed plastic lid on it (and have started keeping it in a zip-top bag as well). And my mixer has its own zip-top bag. I never bake directly on a cookie sheet; for cookies, I always use it inverted, with a foil liner (and typically have up to 3 or 4 pre-loaded liners waiting by the time the second load comes out of the oven), and for meat, we always use a cooking bag (which saved our butts a few weeks ago, when the ignitor in the oven stopped working, and we had to move a batch of chicken parts into the toaster oven!). And if there's any sign of contamination, the glass baking dishes I use for casseroles and turkey loaves get, at minimum, a good rinsing.

To tell you the truth, though, my biggest concern was that the labels on the foil pans were pasted directly to a food-contact surface with some sort of gel contact adhesive, that I wasn't convinced was food-safe. So the whole bottom of each pan got swabbed with an isopropanol prep-swab (no, I'm neither diabetic nor a junkie; they're very handy for cleaning everything from electrical contacts to computer mice, and removing marker ink), a day or two of sitting, and then a quick wash while I was baking the last load from the last batch of shortbreads. Then, after wiping them dry, I stuck them in the cooling oven empty (without their domed plastic covers, of course!), to drive the water out of the nooks and crannies.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 4:39pm
post #33 of 34

yes i like to dry my dishes in the oven too -- more so in the winter --

the hardest thing i've encountered lately with the foil cookware is making a decision -- my daughter asked me to make a couple of these rustic apple pies for her work -- probably just should've gotten some 10 or 12 inch cake boxes but it was sunday and those stores were closed -- michael's handily sells half sheet boards that cleverly do not fit their hs boxes -- yeah ok i could cut the boards then i saw some beautiful foil 9x13's with lids-- like five bucks each -- i thought i can do better at the grocery store --

omg -- i wound up with $4 half sheet cake pans with lid but there were so many choices and the pies are freeform so i burned quite a few brain cells before it was all over -- 

-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 4:46pm
post #34 of 34

and i couldn't resist getting some of the waffle textured foil cookie sheets which will be perfect for my tea rings i make at christmas -- but i won't bake on them -- only for delivering and i decorate them with paper lace doilies and i have some red grease proof paper to really cover them all up and then the recipient can just discard --

anyhow 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%