Friday Night Cake Club For 10-3-14

Decorating By catlharper Updated 8 Oct 2014 , 4:46pm by -K8memphis

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 3:14am
post #1 of 34

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if possible! Hope to see lots of photos tonight!

Cat

33 replies
catlharper Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 3:16am
post #2 of 34

I'm sort of not really here tonight. I'm sick...just a cold but I'm just hangin in here but probably not for long. Only one cake for me this week and that was just a family one so nothing special. I'm off to bed soon (hoping to stay there for at least 12 hours) but I'll be around all weekend. Let me know how you are doing!

Cat

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 3:51am
post #3 of 34

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3291431/width/350/height/700[/IMG] This was my cake this week. Actually this and a smaller smash cake in a similar design, both "Barney and friends" themed. Am sick too and really struggling this week! Those barney cakes were actually quite a disaster!!! Thought all is fine, simple cakes, me well prepared made toppers in advance, buttercream and fondant was made, all I had to do on Tuesday evening was assemble it. Now, stupid me, was waiting until last minute just to realize that something is different with my fondant. Nevertheless I lift it onto the iced cake - and it rips!!! Can you imagine?! Of course didn't make enough fondant for a case like that AND also realized half way through that I made icing for ONE instead of TWO cakes. Think my feverish brain wasn't functioning too well!!! And all I wanted that evening is to finish those cases quickly and crawl in my bed (since the cake was collected early morning). Anyway I managed in the end and now just waking up for my weekend order of a surfer, a baby shower and a bunny cake. Plus cupcakes. But feeling much better and ready to start - more organized this time, lol!

catlharper Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 4:13am
post #4 of 34

Oh Julia..I SO understand where you are at. I had agreed to do a demo cake for this week and my brain just couldn't wrap around the idea. I finally backed out of it today. Thankfully I wasn't the only caker who was working on the display so my cake won't be missed but I was determined to make myself do it until I realized it just wasn't going to happen and I'd rather back out of the job than do a really crappy piece of work. I'm so happy to hear you are doing much better now and can face your weekend. Since I have a client cake next week I'm hoping to feel much better come Monday.

On another note...is Barney still around? LOL! I do love your cake..not Barney necessarily but it looks wonderful!

Cat

julia1812 Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 4:33am
post #5 of 34

AHa ha, he is Cat, he is! And me asking my friends who Barney is outer me as probably the last mom on this planet not knowing him... Lol Good baking next week!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 6:12am
post #6 of 34

ACat, I hope you feel better!! I thought I was coming down with a cold but I got lucky! Just allergies.

Julia, I love your Barney cake! It's always the worst when you feel like you have a handle and it gets away from you! Happens to me wY too often :(. I will be supporting your organization efforts haha. I'm trying to keep lists myself these days. It has helped somewhat.

It's 12:31 am here in finished and this is early for me! Dishes all washed and cakes all assembled and taken care of. I had two pretty big cakes this week. Well detailed, not really "big" the one I managed to snap pictures of is the lady bug cake for a first birthday. **the way the picture was taken (at an Angle) makes i look like the top tier is leaning** it's not lol. It had 24 cupcakes with it.

My dear friend who is in fashion was off today, so she made all of these lady bugs for me so I could focus on the other details. There are about 38 in total

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3291454/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3291455/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 6:53am
post #7 of 34

I thought Barney would be dead and buried by now.  I made a Barney cake for my daughter about 18 years ago. Yours looks great, Julia.

Get better quick Cat.

Did you enjoy putting on all those spots, Morgan.  I would have needed the champagneDad is having a after all them.

No pics for me this week.  Am in the middle of making over 100 frangipanis for my friends wedding.  Was doing the cake and then was not doing the cake, due to family problems.  Now, another friend is making about 100 cupcakes and I am doing frangipanis for them all.  All going well I will also make a top cake to sit above the cupcakes.  My 82 year old Dad is having a 14 hour operation a couple of weeks before the wedding, though, so if things do not go well the frangipanis will be made and they will have a lovely cupcake tower.

Got a little sidetracked this week and did what every aspiring bickie maker should do.  I made the melting snowman bickies.  Oh that was soooo much fun.  Not that we are ever likely to see snow here, but it was 32C, so everyone at work thought they were hilarious.

Back to the frangipanis.  I'm hoping to have them all ready for coloring by the end of the weekend.

julia1812 Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 8:38am
post #8 of 34

ACazza1, please post pictures once done. Love frangipani, have the real deal in my garden and never get tired looking at and smelling them

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 9:44am
post #9 of 34

Hi all, there must be a world wide epidemic going on, I have been sick with the flu for eight weeks now.   I did get a wedding cake out this week , I can't work out how to get the picture here from my phone so if you would like a peek click on my facebook link. It  is the two tier square bottom and heart top with the bouquet of tulips. 

Cat feel better soon

Morgan, I was lucky this week to have my trusty offsider to help out with rolling and ganaching , I don't think I could have got through without her. it is nice to have help occasionally. The Ladybugs are very cute. 

Cazza , I hope all goes well with Dad. I know how nerve racking it can be . Mum had open heart surgery nine years ago at the age of eighty and it was the longest day of my life. 

Julia, I too thought Barney was done and dusted haven't seen him here in years.  Although I do have a purple in my colour box call Barney, actually I used it this week to colour one of the tulips I did. The cake looks great and doesn't show the struggle. 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 34

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.  D day is Friday coming for Dad.  I just don't have a good feeling about it.  Hopefully it is just in my head.

Chelle your cake is beautiful.

rockymtnbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockymtnbaker Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 34

This cake was from my son's wedding last Thursday...I missed last week's cake club! They are total geeks who love all things nerdy, and I had so much fun with this cake. :)

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 2:13pm
post #12 of 34

A

Original message sent by catlharper

On another note...is Barney still around? LOL!

Barney? Barney who? Barney Rubble? Barney Fife? Barney Google? Barney ******? :-P

On a more serious note, tonight is when I begin baking for my mother's memorial service. First up: two double batches of her famous shortbreads (one tonight, one tomorrow night), since they have the longest shelf-life. Then the gingerbread. After testing a cheap foil 9x13 with a domed plastic cover from Dollar Tree, to see if it will fit, lid and all, in a 2 1/2 gallon zip-top bag, I bought three more of the same yesterday. Should solve the problem of keeping 4 9x13s of gingerbread with stickier-than-strawberry-jam-buttercream top crusts presentable (and any vermin sealed out) until next weekend.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 34

AAwww hope everyone feels better!! :)

Lol! Barney is still alive and kicking! Hahaha hey, i grew up with Barney, i wuv him and and can still sing along to the show's songs :)

This is a Frozen theme cake that i made for my goddaughter. 3 hours of ruffling! Hated it! Olaf is made from RKT. Right now i am hating this cake, because this was the cake i made when i lost my wedding and engagement rings :( i must have thrown them away when i was cleaning up. Huhuhu it was already 3am and i was so tired. But still, not an excuse to stupid :( anyway, my goddaughter loved it!

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3291567/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 6:37pm
post #14 of 34

ACazza, I didn't have to put the spots, my friend helped me out with those! She is so awesome I honestly don't know what I would have done without her. Praying for your dad!! I hope all is well!!

Mimi, yes it's nice to have help!! Not only because you go faster, but it's just nice to have the company.

Looking forward to seeing all the cakes! The ones here are lovely as always

julia1812 Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 7:04pm
post #15 of 34

AMorganchampagne, my son would love that cake! He's a huge fan of "No bones, no skull", lol! Great cake

CraftyCassie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 1:33am
post #17 of 34

Ok,   first let me say that this cake was the cake from he**. If it could go wrong it did! I never stress over a cake but I sure did on this one, AND to top it off, after all of the problems and fixes, someone stole my camera at a Bridal Expo last week and I had to take a pix with my phone, which is terrible.

Oh well, all's well that ends well- the wedding planner that I delivered the cake to loved it.

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 9:29am
post #18 of 34

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3291757/width/200/height/400[/IMG]Sorry to everyone feeling I'll this week, I have this virus as well. Thankfully only one cake this week and that was collected yesterday so I have all weekend to recover.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 4:00pm
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimimakescakes 

Hi all, there must be a world wide epidemic going on, I have been sick with the flu for eight weeks now.   I did get a wedding cake out this week  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara1982 

Sorry to everyone feeling I'll this week, I have this virus as well. Thankfully only one cake this week and that was collected yesterday so I have all weekend to recover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia1812 

Am sick too and really struggling this week! ... Think my feverish brain wasn't functioning too well!!! And all I wanted that evening is to finish those cases quickly and crawl in my bed (since the cake was collected early morning). Anyway I managed in the end and now just waking up for my weekend order of a surfer, a baby shower and a bunny cake. Plus cupcakes. But feeling much better and ready to start - more organized this time, lol!

Wow, lots of people sick. Hope you all feel better soon! I've read other threads about how people handle it when they're sick. What do you ladies do so your customers don't come down with your bug?

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 4:56pm
post #20 of 34

AThankfully my cake was a mud cake so baked and decorated 4 days before hand. I just had to assemble and do some final touches. Also, I didn't feel that bad whilst I was doing it, it was once it had gone that I felt relieved I had no others to make!

julia1812 Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 5:47pm
post #21 of 34

AGood point. Fortunately it's nothing contagious I have and I wash my hands anyway like a thousand times while working on a cake. And if it would be something which doesn't allow me to handle food, I would cancel the order obviously - which is my biggest nightmare! Never happened yet thanks God...

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 8:48pm
post #22 of 34

I've been cutting back a bit on cakes recently - focussing on getting my bombsite of a house sorted before the baby comes - but managed to make one cake as a thank to our school administrator who was leaving after ten years.  I did the double peony at a class my local ********** guild were running, and then made the other flowers at home.  I used ivy that I'd made for a previous cake but now I wish I'd made new ones as I have come on in my technique since then and could have done better.  But the recipient was thrilled anyway...

A little chocolate cake as a thank you to our school administrator who has left after ten years.  Design inspired by a cake from the Sugar Penguin Cakery.

FlRugbyChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlRugbyChick Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 9:17pm
post #23 of 34

ASorry to hear that every one is sick. It doesn't show in your work though. Lizzie, your flowers are beautiful and I love the chalk board. My cake this week gave me hell. If you want to read the story I posted in the cake disasters thread "my first caketastrophe" [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3291972/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 6:15am
post #24 of 34

ATwo double batches of shortbreads for the memorial service down (net acceptable combined yield: 239 cookies; maybe I over-aerated the flour on tonight's batch and it came up short of dough, but I ended up with 6 fewer cookies than last night's batch)

Four 9x13 gingerbreads, a small block of Cracker Barrel cheddar reduced to cubes, a box of Keebler TownHouse crackers, and a bag each of her favorite potato chips and her favorite pretzels (and, I hope, a turkey-loaf from which I can serve the leftovers as cold hors d'oeuvres) to go.

Washed out the cheap disposable pans (and their domed plastic covers) I bought at Dollar Tree. I don't care what anybody says; if it came from Dollar Tree, and it wasn't in any kind of package, and it had a label stuck to the food-contact surface of the pan, IT GETS WASHED BEFORE USE.

DanTonys2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanTonys2005 Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 2:15am
post #25 of 34

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3292430/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

I made this cake for my Nephew this weekend.

DanTonys2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanTonys2005 Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 2:16am
post #26 of 34

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3292432/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

This was a chocolate cake with raspberry filling.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 5:10am
post #27 of 34

AThe first gingerbread is now out of the oven.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 5:10am
post #28 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Wow, lots of people sick. Hope you all feel better soon! I've read other threads about how people handle it when they're sick. What do you ladies do so your customers don't come down with your bug?

Gloves , masks and lots and lots of hand sanitizer.  I am obsessive about hand washing . My hands are so dry after I have been through this flu.  

James , I wash everything before I use it.  I don't know what has been crawling though a factory or store.  

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 4:24pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimimakescakes 
James , I wash everything before I use it.  I don't know what has been crawling though a factory or store.  

What, or who. People can be vectors as well, and unfortunately, we have a system in which the very people most likely to be handling food or food-contact implements (especially cheap ones) are often the least-likely to have paid sick-leave with which to quarantine themselves away from co-workers and customers. I count myself very fortunate that (with the exception of a couple of times when I had to go in briefly when something couldn't wait, but was still able to stay away from my co-workers) I have sick-leave where I work.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 5:27am
post #30 of 34

ATwo gingerbreads down (I suspect the first one was a bit overdone, so I knocked 10 minutes off the "toothpick test" time on this one; never thought a disposable pan would have an effect on the cooking time), two to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%