Naked Ombré Cake

Decorating By emma_jada Updated 4 Oct 2014 , 3:01pm by -K8memphis

emma_jada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_jada Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 1:15am
post #1 of 10

AI have a bride requesting that each layer of a naked cake a little darker but wants the same flavor cake throughout. How do I get the edges darker without over cooking? [IMG][IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3291073/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG]b

9 replies
FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 2:03am
post #2 of 10

The top layers are trimmed on the edges where the bottom ones are not, I believe. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 12:26am
post #3 of 10

airbrush?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 12:28am
post #4 of 10

you could mix an increasing amount of cocoa powder into the flour that you grease and flour the pan with -- you'd have to test this but it's an idea

emma_jada Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 12:57am
post #5 of 10

AGood idea. Thanks

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 10

Or if they didn't want chocolate flavored cake you could add increasing amounts of brown food coloring to the cake batter.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 10

this naked cake idea of all the same flavor and different shades on the outside is irritating to me -- i would air brush it or get some of the aerosol spray can spray -- i'm not baking anything like that for anybody -- 

and see on the right side of the bottom layer of the bottom tier how part of the browned edge got left in the pan and they expertly deflected your eye with the decor? i would just hate to have to do a naked cake but then to have to graduate the color on it -- phffft -- not for moi -- unless i could air brush it and then it kinda looses the whole naked aspect -- this goes on the uh ugh list right under cakes sitting outside in the summer sun -- 

naw -- too old & crabby for that sh*t    ;)  hope all goes well for you though 

emma_jada Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 10

AThis was not the original cake she told me. The wedding is 3 wks away and this is what she changed too.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_jada 

This was not the original cake she told me. The wedding is 3 wks away and this is what she changed too.
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2014 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62 

You should brush the sponges with a gelatin glaze to preserve the moisture. It leaves no taste and leaves a faint sheen on the cake. Also dries quickly.

she was saying how to preserve the edges so they don't dry out--

well i guess just some gelatin in the glaze and then add some food color -- i'd bake off a cake and test it with food color to see how it looks --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%