Little Shop Of Horrors... But How?

Decorating By Dr_Hfuhruhurr Updated 7 Oct 2014 , 12:49pm by cupadeecakes

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 7

Hi folks,

My daughter is appearing in an upcoming production of Little Shop of Horrors for her high school drama course, and I have been asked to make a cake for the after-party.  I would like to emulate something very much like this:

I think I can manage it, as I've done a few sculpted cakes in the past, but I'm pretty stuck as to how to make the "head" of the plant itself.  I could do it out of RKT, I'm sure, but I'd rather figure out a way to make it in cake.  Also, whether in RKT or cake, I'm not sure how to accomplish what is essentially a "Pac-Man" shape--i.e., spherical, but with a gaping mouth.

I'm envisioning four 8" tiers for the flowerpot, tapered and covered with fondant. A wooden dowel for center support, and a ring of bubble straws to provide support for the cake board on top that will hold the "head." Maybe RKT would be the best way to go, really.  That way, I can sculpt it ahead of time and simply skewer it onto the wooden center dowel once the flower pot, "dirt," and vines are all finished.  Still, though, I don't know if RKT is strong enough structurally to accomplish that open mouth effect.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 7

Is the mouth really open, or is that just black fondant giving it the illusion of being open? 

I have tried several methods for getting a completely spherical cake and it always takes up way more of my time than my clients are willing to pay.  Now I use styrofoam for the bottom half of the sphere and make the top half in cake.  They look much better and my clients are generally more concerned with the looks than it being 100% edible.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 7

Good point.  It might just be black fondant.  Although, the curve of those teeth makes me think there is a small cavity, at least. I'd prefer not to use styrofoam if I can help it, but how about RKT for the bottom and cake for the top?  That might be a great compromise!

Edit: I guess I should also point out that the plant head is actually more of an egg shape than a sphere.  It's tough to tell from this photo.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 7

Okay, it's not nearly as good as the inspiration, but here's what I came up with:

This is an Audrey II cake (and cupcakes) I made for my daughter's high school production of Little Shop of Horrors. The bottom (flowerpot) is chocolate/chocolate, and covered in fondant. The top (Audrey II) is green velvet cake with mint chocolate chip buttercream, covered in fondant.

My sculpting could use a lot of work, but it was a lot of fun to make. And it was a hit at the play.

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 7

I think you did a beautiful job!

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you very much.  :)

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Oct 2014 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 7

I think you did an awesome job!  Looks great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%