Buttercream Help.

Baking By mogleyzw Updated 14 Oct 2014 , 2:57pm by julia1812

mogleyzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mogleyzw Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hello fellow bakers,

This is my first post, I've been to this website a few times and see that it seems to help and lot of people so I thought I would ask a few things I need help with based on buttercream: 

The first is my buttercream always seems to split when I make it.  I've only made "American" buttercream with icing, butter and milk.  I've tried many different things from using colder butter to adding a lot of icing but that does not help.  I have read different forums but still having a problem.

The second thing is my buttercream does not hold its shape.  I want to make the classic cone shaped tower of icing but it always seems to flop, so i freeze the buttercream thinking if its colder it will retain its shape better, but when it cools in like 5 minutes it seems to flop again, even the iced cupcakes.  I wouldn't say I live in as particularly extreme climate so I don't think its that.  Any suggestions?

And lastly I am considering changing the buttercream I used to maybe an Italian.  Basically what I would like is a versitly buttercream where I can use the same recipe on a vanilla cupcake but easily flavour it say with passion friut extract to ice a passion fruit cupcake.  I also need something which is stiff which can be used to hold a garnish say maybe a candied orange dipped in chocolate upright.  What type of buttercream would you suggest?

Thanks in advanced.  :)

4 replies
Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 5

What recipe are you using?

mogleyzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mogleyzw Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 5

http://www.thefabulousmomsguide.com/2012/04/how-to-make-basic-buttercream-icing/

Just sugar and butter, 1 to 2 butter to sugar recipe.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 5

You need a different recipe.  There are many to choose from on this site.  Here is my favorite:  http://www.cakecentral.com/a/2-icing

If you don't want to make that much just 1/2 each of the ingredients.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 5

AI use abc too, but I make it different all the time. For cupcakes I use 120g butter, 120g shortening (or butter), 500g icing sugar, maybe coloring. Then I use about 50ml liquid, which can be milk, purred strawberries, orange juice or coconut milk or or or. Something I substitute some icing sugar for cocoa or I add (cool) chocolate. For cakes or piping work like flowers, leafs etc I use about 700g of icing sugar and always shortening (at least 50%). Sometimes I even add cornstarch or )my newly discovered) dream whip to have a stiff consistency. Never have problems with it holding up shape. And I never put it in the fridge. Well, yes, leftovers. But I have to give it a little beating before I use it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%