Any Ideas On How To Make Edible Fish Hooks?

Decorating By GRAMSB123 Updated 1 May 2015 , 1:39am by yortma

GRAMSB123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMSB123 Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 1:35am
post #1 of 12

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make edible fish hooks. I tried making them out of chocolate but they break very easily. I just can't think of any thing I can use that will hold it's shape besides fondant.  

11 replies
easyaspie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
easyaspie Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 1:54am
post #2 of 12

maybe if you could find mini candy canes? cover them in chocolate, or whatever. it may not go with cake flavor but it will be edible. :)

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 2:10am
post #3 of 12

You didn't mention how big or small, but this is how I made antennas for a ladybug once.  Cook spaghetti until flexible.  bend  into shape.  Let dry, and it will get hard again.   Paint with food color if desred.  You could probably find just about any thickness of pasta that would work for you.  HTH

AppleMark

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 11:37am
post #4 of 12

yortma that is brilliant!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 11:45am
post #5 of 12

ditto, doramoreno -- you're a rock star, yortma

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 6:59am
post #6 of 12

ABrilliant idea!!!

montrealkid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montrealkid Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you, this is one to add to my idea list!  Love it!

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 12

Love the spaghetti idea!  That is brilliant and looks awesome!  I would probably make the fish hooks out of gumpaste or a combo of gumpaste and fondant.  Won't taste fantastic, but will be edible.

fdusing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fdusing Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 12

Quote by @yortma on 25 Sep 2014 , 2:10am

You didn't mention how big or small, but this is how I made antennas for a ladybug once.  Cook spaghetti until flexible.  bend  into shape.  Let dry, and it will get hard again.   Paint with food color if desred.  You could probably find just about any thickness of pasta that would work for you.  HTH

AppleMark

yortma, when you paint them with food coloring, how do you go about doing so?  I've never even thought of using spaghetti like that before!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 12

I wonder if you painted the pasta in a combo of food color and powdered sugar if you would get something more candy tasting.  But then again my daughter loves raw crunchy pasta.  Ladybug looks incredible!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 12

I would also like to know how you painted them with food colouring without it sliding off. That is such a great idea. thankyou so much for sharing!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 1 May 2015 , 1:39am
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone!  I believe I just painted on Wilton black color straight out of the jar.  It's also possible I dipped it into my airbrush color. (It was a while ago).   Either way,  it was plain old coloring.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%