Chocolate Icing Help!

Decorating By Rosie93095 Updated 23 Sep 2014 , 4:57pm by -K8memphis

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 4

My cake for the Marvelous Molds Onlays Contest!  I am making a wedding cake that the customer wants this color with gold fondant accents, but I she HATES fondant and wants the cake in Buttercream-

I would like to know your thoughts on whether it would be best to use a Crusting Chocolate ABC, Chocolate SMBC or Ganache to ice the cake? I know I can attaché the fondant deco to any type but I am having trouble deciding which is the best base since I can't use fondant....

Please help.....:)

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 4

ganache would be my last choice because it shows every little jot and tittle -- doesn't play well with others -- although it would be the most gorgeous -- whipped ganache is usually streaky -- i don't usually make chocolate smbc -- i'm always doing vanilla  -- but i'd do that i think so it gives you plenty of time and stickiness to put all that on there -- crusting abc would work but the smbc will have the surface always ready for you to apply everything -- if you mar it you can easily repair it --

i vote chocolate smbc -- 

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/vanilla-buttercream-braun and then add 1/2 cup ganache--

and you'll notice they're calling it italian mbc -- martha stewart does this in one of her books too but it's swiss -- easy to confuse --

and just to toss in some confusion -- to get a real dark black chocolate -- they sell black cocoa powder at king arthur flour company -- i've only used it in abc so-- you'd have some testing to do on that -- just some ideas for you --

gorgeous cake -- best to you

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 4

I have made SMBC, but not chocolate so I will experiment this week. The cake's not due for 2 weeks. Wopuld you chill first, add décor and then keep chilled until delivery?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 4

Ayes that's exactly how I would do it -- especially the trying the icing way in advance -- caking is so fickle - the slightest teensiest change can bring about the most unexpected change -- and yes chill apply keep chill --

i'd be interested to know how your icing does --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%