Silver Dragees - Edible??

Decorating By KsCakes09 Updated 22 Sep 2014 , 9:10pm by maybenot

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 3

When you used silver dragess on cakes do you tell your customers to remove them before eating the cake??  How do they react?? Do customers get scared??

I've been seeing the FDA recommendations not to consume because of the metal in the coating.  

2 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 3

I like what fancy flours posts on the sales page:

"Dragees (pronounced Dra-jeys) are shiny little metallic balls that we all remember on holiday cookies. They are safe to eat, but should be removed before serving because of the real metal coating. They won't hurt you if you eat them as they are made from panned sugar, but the FDA recommends that they be used for decorative use only as they are not classified as a food item. "

​I would tell them, and let them make their own decisions on it. Most older people known what they are, and usually ate them as kids (like me). I called them silver jawbreakers. I usually just watched for them so I didn't accidental bite into them, but certainly ate them. 

PS. Some post also compared them (dragees) to birthday candles... well... you put them on a cake, but certainly remove them and do not eat them. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 3

I tell people to remove them more out of fear for tooth damage than the metallic coating--LOL.

Nowadays, if I only need a relatively small #--under 100--I make my own by rolling fondant balls in edible metallic airbrush color and edible metallic luster dust.  Not perfect, but they can be eaten and people seem to appreciate that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%