How Do I Knead Paste Colour Into My Fondant Without Incorporating Air Into It?

Decorating By pastrymaniac Updated 23 Sep 2014 , 10:14am by Siany01

pastrymaniac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrymaniac Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 1:37am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

when I work with white fondant I don´t face this issue (at least not so often or seriously) but when I have to colour it I end up incorporating a lot of air into my fondant which causes quite a few air bubbles. I still don´t know the correct technique to knead fondant and not do that I guess. 

Does anyone know any good video tutorial on this or fool proof method?

Thanks very much.

Cheers :)

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 3:48am
post #2 of 9

What kind of fondant (brand) are you using?   I never had such a problem.  Have you ever watch shows like Cake Boss?  Just watch how they do it.  Try watching these videos.  Just put a bit of color into the dough before you start.  http://www.wikihow.com/Knead-Dough    OR   http://allrecipes.com/Video/36/How-to-Knead-Dough/Detail.aspx

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 11:30am
post #3 of 9

AI find you have to let it rest for a good few hours, preferably overnight after colouring. It lets the colour develop more and it allows the paste/fondant firm up again which helps with the air bubbles. Might not be the best way but it works for me.

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 9

Just as Siany01 said I always let mine rest after kneading in color. It is far too soft for me to work with if I don't.

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 9

I had this problem for a long time until I realized that they way I knead bread is NOT the way I knead fondant.  Instead of pushing the heel of your hand into it, turning, folding it over on itself and repeat - you push your heel of your hand into it, turn in, stand it on it's side, push it down onto itself and repeat.

pastrymaniac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrymaniac Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the reply everyone.

I am using a premium brand of english fondant created for wedding cakes and I am very happy with it although it forms air bubbles a bit easier than the older brand that I used which was not as good.

I think my problem might be the same as yours dukeswalker, the way you described it is exactly how I do it :) !!  I also used to knead fresh bread dough and fresh pasta dough at work and old habits die hard... I will tryto knead differently and see some videos of other cake decorators kneading.

Thanks again, cheers.

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastrymaniac 

I think my problem might be the same as yours dukeswalker, the way you described it is exactly how I do it :) !!  I also used to knead fresh bread dough and fresh pasta dough at work and old habits die hard... I will tryto knead differently and see some videos of other cake decorators kneading.

Thanks again, cheers.

Me too!  I've been baking bread for years with my mom.  So when I heard the word "knead" I just went with what I knew.  After changing my method for fondant I no longer have bubbles in my fondant.

Siany01 Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 10:13am
post #8 of 9

AI agree with the kneadin part, when I first started I did the same thing (knead as bread dough) but I changed and it eliminated the bubbles but I find when I colour I have to knead more like bread to get the colour even. If I fondant knead it doesn't get rid of the streaks so that's why I find resting is better after kneading in colour.

Siany01 Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 10:14am
post #9 of 9

AOf even better don't colour it and just airbrush

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%