Sepia Or Old World Effect On Fondant

Decorating By Cher2309b Updated 28 Oct 2014 , 6:46am by Cher2309b

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 1:42am
post #1 of 10

I would love some ideas on how to create a sepia or old world background effect on fondant. Can anyone assist please?

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 3:42am
post #2 of 10

Just a total guess. Try lightening w/ *powder* color w/cornstarch and brushing it very lightly in a streaked fashion.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 5:14am
post #3 of 10

AAre you asking about the color or the technique? Guess airbrush would be best...in a light and medium brown. If you don't have an airbrush, powdered colors as kakeladi said.

Cher2309b Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 11:04am
post #4 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakeladi 

Just a total guess. Try lightening w/ *powder* color w/cornstarch and brushing it very lightly in a streaked fashion.

Thank you kakeladi; I'll have to start experimenting.

Cher2309b Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 11:18am
post #5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia1812 

Are you asking about the color or the technique?
Guess airbrush would be best...in a light and medium brown.
If you don't have an airbrush, powdered colors as kakeladi said.

Thank you julia1812.

I'm after any ideas at all. I don't have an airbrush but will experiment with powdered colours.

I'm thinking of tearing out a variety of photos and pasting them on paper to create a collage effect (or a decoupage effect) and then making an edible print of this to apply to fondant. One thought I am having now is to print out some nice antique-looking paper for the background rather than painting the fondant. (My original thought was to make an  edible print decoupage directly on the fondant but I think my new idea will be much simpler and cheaper.)

I'd be happy to hear any thoughts on these ideas or any other suggestions. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 10

AThere are no edible prints available here, but I've seen and tasted them elsewhere. Not impressed by the taste at all, but that's only my personal opinion. What I am thinking about is how do you want to cover the entire cake with it? Even if it is stretchy like fondant, I guess stretched faces etc might look a bit funny. Unless you do a squared cake and be very careful what to do at the corners. Or a round one where you only do the sides. What exactly is the cake going to look like anyway and for what occasion? Can you give me more information on this?

lunawhisper0013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunawhisper0013 Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 10

AI've done something similar with paint. On a cake, I would lighten a brown food coloring with water and use a paper towel to dab it lightly on the fondant in a patina kind of way. Try it out on a small piece of rolled fondant first and see if that will give you the look you are wanting.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 10

..........I would lighten a brown food coloring with water and use a paper towel to dab it lightly on the fondant in a patina kind of way.......

This is another good idea.

I've used edible prints - way back - using wafer paper and there is little to no taste.

Cher2309b Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and comments. I wasn't past the thinking it out stage when I first posted. I was awake at 3 am this morning, still thinking it out, and decided to get up and work on it. So I searched for pictures with musical, romantic and fairy themes, as well as a soft antique paper for the background. I printed them out, tore them out and made some collages and then printed those out. I think they look fine.

My next step is to have some edible images made of them and attach them around the side of a round cake, adding a little gold leaf. This will, probably, be one of three tiers for a small casual wedding cake for my niece. (Numbers have just trebled from 10 people to 30.) I plan on making two of the tiers dummy cakes. I'm thinking of covering the smallest tier with gold leaf and the middle tier either with fondant pearls or ruffle flowers, using ruffle flowers and/or pearls to adorn each tier.

The bride would like some hearts incorporated. I have a mould for a lovely large filigreed heart and would like to place it somewhere, surrounded with pearls - just have to work out how to do this without overdoing it.

I've used edible prints several times before and I quite like them. This will be my first time at covering a large surface with them.

Thank you again for your support.

Cher2309b Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 6:46am
post #10 of 10

Thank you very much, Ladies, for your input. The wedding was a few days ago and even my last-mentioned ideas changed somewhat. Anyway, here is the final 3 tier wedding cake, which is all dummy cake, and a cutting cake.

Wedding cake for my darling niece. Ruffles, gold leaf, edible images of a collage (depicting themes the couple requested), pearls and ruffle flowers.

ruffle flowers, circle ruffles, pearls, hearts and love. chocolate mud cake, chocolate ganache, fondant and sugar pearls

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%