What Is Happening?!?!?

Decorating By JanDunlevy Updated 21 Sep 2014 , 12:43pm by JanDunlevy

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 8

ACould someone please tell me what is happening to my crusting buttercream? This has just started happening with my last couple of cakes. I have not changed anything. My perfectly smooth buttercream wrinkles all by itself! It happens over night after the cake has set in a cool room for 8-10 hours. The first time it happened it was in the fridge which I almost never do. Thought that had caused it so I went back to room temp. Recipe is 1 stick butter, 1 1/4 cup sweetex, 2 1/4 tblspn extract, 2lbs confectionary sugar, 1/4 cup milk plus 2 tblspns. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated! [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3287140/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

7 replies
Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 8

Did you change the recipe for the cake??  Sometimes when I make WASC, I have problems..

JanDunlevy Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 8

AIt is a WASC cake but that is the cake I always use!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 8

Athink it might have too much liquid? I know I recommend this for everything but maybe toss in some cornstarch -- so sorry this is happening--

There is more water in butter these days and watch the label on your butter too -- they are putting out some weird products as butter too --

JanDunlevy Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 8

AThank you so much K8memphis. I am not sure about the liquid. It could be possible that the butter I use could have changed its contents. I just know I haven't changed anything that I am doing! Very frustrating!

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 8

AI have had to reduce the liquid in my buttercream recently. I used to use 1/3 cup liquid and am mow using less than 3 tablespoons instead. Using all the same products. I am thinking the humidity is the culprit but it could be more water in the butter to cut costs.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 3:57am
post #7 of 8

I agree that there is too much liquid in your recipe.  As K8 pointed out the water content in butters can change at different times of the yr and from batch to batch. 

Try this recipe.  It does not use any liquid for a great tasting icing that is very easy to make & use.

http://www.cakecentral.com/a/2-icing

JanDunlevy Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 8

AThank you so much kakeladi! I may have to give this one a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%