Fondant Decoration Broke!!!!!

Decorating By PreTeaGirls Updated 22 Sep 2014 , 2:57am by mattyeatscakes

PreTeaGirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PreTeaGirls Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 6

AWhat is the fastest way to dry a decoration? Customer picked up cake yesterday I just got a text one of the handles broke. Need to make another one ASAP! [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3287090/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 6

one way is to knead in a ton of cornstarch and dry the shaped handle at 150 degrees -- more than that and it will melt -- don't touch it while it's warm -- you can use your oven thermometer to advantage by turning the oven off & on just for few minutes -- don't get it too hot though -- some people use food dehydrators and i have a warming drawer in my oven  -- but on & off will work in a pinch -- 150 of course is a low temp

PreTeaGirls Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 6

AThank you!

PreTeaGirls Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 6

AApprox. How much time in the oven?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 6

i usually do 2 hours in the heat cool off and another hour or two of heat --

remember don't move it while it's hot -- only touch it when it's completely cooled off 

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 2:57am
post #6 of 6

AOr use Wilton ready made gumpaste. Boy that stuff sure dries super fast!! Pro - it dries super fast. Con - it dries super fast, so if you take your sweet time kneading and sculpting your gumpaste will start to dry out and develop elephant skin. :)

K8, i still love your advice on using cornstarch! I use it all the time now for cupcake and cake toppers! Yay! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%