Friday Night Cake Club For 9/19/14

Decorating By catlharper Updated 23 Sep 2014 , 11:43pm by TheItalianBaker

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 11:12pm
post #32 of 56

A

Original message sent by catlharper

Thank you again! I'll let you know how the first attempt goes next month. If it goes well then I very well may add this book to my Christmas list! LOL!

Cat

I adore that book as well. I found the website, then begged for the book for Christmas. It keeps well, too. Some of the details were made from mc I made in January. My problem is always over mixing. It breaks the emulsion, and fat seeps out. Then you have to heat it, work it back in, then let it rest again.

OTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OTcakes Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 11:45pm
post #33 of 56

Cat, sorry for your losses.

Matty, great job on the cake! I, too, have an 8 month old and it's really a challenge to find time to work on my cakes since you can't really predict illnesses and teething. If only he'd start sleeping thru the night!

Sweetshop, love your cakes this week!

Here is mine...it's a pirate themed cake for my bestfriend's son's 1st birthday.

2j4em21.jpg 

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 11:50pm
post #34 of 56

A

Original message sent by OTcakes

Cat, sorry for your losses. Matty, great job on the cake! I, too, have an 8 month old and it's really a challenge to find time to work on my cakes since you can't really predict illnesses and teething. If only he'd start sleeping thru the night! Sweetshop, love your cakes this week!

Here is mine...it's a pirate themed cake for my bestfriend's son's 1st birthday.

[IMG]http://oi60.tinypic.com/2j4em21.jpg[/IMG

Wow, that map is amazing! Wow!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 11:59pm
post #35 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTcakes 

2j4em21.jpg 

@OTcakes your waves are pretty, and that map really sells it.  Great job on that map.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuuushi 

@kuuushi it's ok to use those colors on both cakes, as you made a beautiful array of blues.  You have been making very detailed cakes.  You've got someone's favorite things on the bus cake, it must have taken forever!!  Nice.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 12:24am
post #36 of 56

A

Original message sent by OTcakes

Cat, sorry for your losses. Matty, great job on the cake! I, too, have an 8 month old and it's really a challenge to find time to work on my cakes since you can't really predict illnesses and teething. If only he'd start sleeping thru the night! Sweetshop, love your cakes this week!

[IMG]http://oi60.tinypic.com/2j4em21.jpg[/IMG

Awww thanks! I know, mine still wakes up in the middle of the night so i can't even decorate undisturbed even then! Lol.. Your cake is amazing!! The map looks so real!! Airbrushed?

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 12:28am
post #37 of 56

@kuuushi, I love the bottom tier of the shoe cake! And those are very nice shades of blue as well. :)

OTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OTcakes Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 12:52am
post #38 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattyeatscakes 

Awww thanks! I know, mine still wakes up in the middle of the night so i can't even decorate undisturbed even then! Lol.. Your cake is amazing!! The map looks so real!! Airbrushed?

Yes :)

swishykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swishykitty Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 3:40am
post #39 of 56

*Wine crate cake for wine tasting bridal shower - all elements hand made.  Special thanks to Haniela for her great you tube tutorial* Grapes are all fondant as are the "wood" panels

Cake I made for a wine tasting bridal shower for a dear friend's daughter.  Just a hobby baker who was inspired by a tutorial by Haniela.

All fondant decorations except the "shreds" which are "dang" toasted coconut chips  tfl

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 10:53am
post #40 of 56

AEveryone's cakes are wonderful as always.

I was wondering about the modeling chocolate and how far in advance could you make the pieces and how would you store them? I think may need to order that book.

I didn't make any cakes this week, but plenty of cupcakes for work. Tried a new chocolate cupcake recipe and half were with chocolate buttercream and the other half had a caramel filling and caramel buttercream.

:)

Marian

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 4:27pm
post #41 of 56

Cat, sorry to hear you won't be making cakes as a business any more.  You will be missed, I'm sure.  You've made some gorgeous cakes and have great talent, but you have to do what is best for you, your family, and your health.  Wish you all the best in whatever you do.  Are you still going to be hosting the Friday Night Cake Club?  At least that way we can still keep up on what is happening in your life as well as these lovely cakes.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 5:38pm
post #42 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerle 

Cat, sorry to hear you won't be making cakes as a business any more.  You will be missed, I'm sure.  You've made some gorgeous cakes and have great talent, but you have to do what is best for you, your family, and your health.  Wish you all the best in whatever you do.  Are you still going to be hosting the Friday Night Cake Club?  At least that way we can still keep up on what is happening in your life as well as these lovely cakes.

Gerle,

Yes, I'm still going to be here every Friday night! I'll still be making cakes too but just not for sale. I think I'm going to be working on demo cakes so I can take as much time as I want and work on new techniques as slow as I want to be able to do so. The problem with doing client cakes is that it's on a short time schedule and my hand just won't take it. I end up with a very sore hand after even simple cakes now. But with a demo cake I can take 2-3 weeks and no one cares! I can do intricate work a teeny bit at a time and end up with the cake I want and not have to worry about cake going bad or meeting a client deadline. Of course we have a HUGE family so I'm not off the hook for those cakes LOL! There is at least one a month for family.

Thank you for the glowing compliments...made my day! :)

Cat

catlharper Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 5:40pm
post #43 of 56

Hi everyone! 

I came back in this morning and I'm so glad I did! Wow! The cakes are all AHHHHH-MAZING! My eyes are popping!

But the reason I came by was to tell you what I discovered! They are acetate smoothers for fondant. Now, they are sold out right now but she's ordered another shipment and I'll be getting mine as soon as she does! Go to this link to check it out and also click on the photo of the smoothers and watch the tutorial link there:

https://store1440083.ecwid.com/#!/Decorating-Tools/c/10718215/offset=0&sort=normal

Cat

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 6:31pm
post #44 of 56

AHi there, sorry to hear about the deaths! That's terrible

catlharper Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 6:41pm
post #45 of 56

Julia!

Your cake is amazing! I think you are MUCH better than your words let on. Thank you for your kind words to me...it's been a hard week.

Cat

MBalaska Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 8:54pm
post #46 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by swishykitty 

*Wine crate cake for wine tasting bridal shower - all elements hand made.  Special thanks to Haniela for her great you tube tutorial* Grapes are all fondant as are the "wood" panels

@swishykitty very dressed-up cake.  Really like those coconut shreds.

MBalaska Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 8:56pm
post #47 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia1812 

@julia1812 you've made very pretty cakes, lots of details, lots of color, you may not call yourself a "pro" but you are leagues ahead of average decorators.

julia1812 Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 3:56am
post #48 of 56

ALol, thanks. I wasn't fishing here or anything... Just meant that I feel very restricted at the moment due to my location. Food coloring gel? Dowels? Candy melts? CMC? Just to name a few...are NOT available! Anyway, like I said, I enjoy this forum alot and when I see some cakes (like just now I saw a skateboarder in "most popular"), my jaw drops to the floor and I feel very incompetently

catlharper Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 4:03am
post #49 of 56

Julia,

My dad use to say that comparing yourself to others is useless because there will always be someone better than you...and always someone worse. Compare yourself to yourself only. See how far YOU have come in your work. With each cake I learn something new, get a little more experienced and do a little better. For instance, I use to just get mentally panicky when I'd think of covering a cake in fondant. It really stressed me out. But now it's just something that needs to be done. Now I'm constantly looking for new ways to use the fondant to cover as a way to stretch my skills. When I look at my first cakes compared to what I can do now, and what I can do now with ease, I can see how far I've come with this work. So keep up the work...there's only up!

Cat

reenrules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenrules Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 5:11am
post #50 of 56

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3287637/width/350/height/700[/IMG] Just one for me...I've been sick so haven't been taking orders.

julia1812 Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 5:24am
post #51 of 56

AThanks cat, your dad is a very wise man! Good advice. I am always too ambitious, so will take it on board

catlharper Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 6:13am
post #52 of 56

Reen! SO cute! Love your little critters! I do hope you are feeling so much better! Please do take care as much as you can and we'll see you back here next week.

Cat

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 10:40pm
post #53 of 56

Hello everybody!!!

Last saturday I had my first big order since I opened my home based bakery!

The customer was somebody that followed me from the bakery I used to work for to my business, so that's her order!

MBalaska Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 11:01pm
post #54 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by reenrules 

@reenrules that is nice, I'd love to have the eye for color that you do. Love the elephant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheItalianBaker 

Hello everybody!!!

Last saturday I had my first big order since I opened my home based bakery!

@TheItalianBaker congratulations on your first big order, may you get many more!

catlharper Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 4:33pm
post #55 of 56

The Italian Baker: That is a gorgeous dessert table! A very beautiful cake (awesome flowers!) for the centerpiece! Congrats on your first professional order for your OWN business! May this lead to many many more!

Cat

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 11:43pm
post #56 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlharper 

The Italian Baker: That is a gorgeous dessert table! A very beautiful cake (awesome flowers!) for the centerpiece! Congrats on your first professional order for your OWN business! May this lead to many many more!

Cat

thank you Cat!!! I've been through 2 horrible weeks, I really hope this is going to be my start..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%