How Do I Thin Wilton Food Coloring Gel?

Decorating By lmcclaflin Updated 19 Sep 2014 , 6:42am by julia1812

lmcclaflin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmcclaflin Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 12:53am
post #1 of 5

I have some food coloring gel that seems way too thick, like it dried out just a little.  What is the best thing to add to thin it out?  I'm just adding it to cake batter.  I was going to use regular food coloring but I don't have the right color on hand.  I wasn't sure if water was okay or if needed to be alcohol based.

4 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 6:19am
post #2 of 5

ASometimes I have success using slightly dried out gel colour, especially if you can scrape away the surface skin and use better stuff underneath. Sometimes, though, it just won't incorporate and forms clumps of colour in the icing etc I'm trying to use it in. Maybe try a little bit in a spoonful of the batter and see if it mixes, then you're not wasting the whole lot if it doesn't work. But if it's for a paying customer and it's out of date, then don't even think about it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 5

AI think I've read that you can add glycerin but I've never done it myself

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 6:42am
post #4 of 5

AIf you use it in the batter, just mix it with the liquid you add anyway, f.e. milk, vanilla essence or even eggs. If you need it later to paint on details, mix it with a little vodka or extract (f.e. lemon,almond or vanilla).

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 6:42am
post #5 of 5

AIf you use it in the batter, just mix it with the liquid you add anyway, f.e. milk, vanilla essence or even eggs. If you need it later to paint on details, mix it with a little vodka or extract (f.e. lemon,almond or vanilla).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%