This Technique

Decorating By manomi Updated 15 Sep 2014 , 11:43am by jcd1130

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 6

Hey fellow cake decorators :)

So I need to replicate these ruffles. I am thinking these are just fondant pieces folded randomly. What shape do you think would work best? A flower?

Also do they need to be made ahead and time and then stuck or can i just make them and apply? I am worried if fresh fondant would get floppy and not hold its shape in ruffles. What do you all think?

Thanks

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 6

AYou could use a large hydrangea cutter or one of these rose cutters, because I can make out the pointy ends in some of thise petals on the cake: http://www.fmm***************/products.php?product=5-Petal-Rose-Cutter-%25252d-65mm You can make them ahead, yes. Then glue on using royal icing. Only problem with making them ahead is they will be more difficult to "fit" on the cake since they won't be malleable. You could certainly make some ahead but them do some fresh to fill in any gaps.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 6

You might try contacting the creator of the cake pictured asking for information.  Many will help you.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 1:02am
post #4 of 6

When, I make something using fondant(I rather use modeling chocolate) I make them ahead and place them in a x-large freezer bag. I lay this on flat pan in fridge. When I get the tiers all together, I then start putting my chocolate decos on the cake. I use sugar glue or piping gel. This is my opinion as to how I do it.  I hate having to make the decos day of decorating cake. It just saves so much time. Looking at this pic, you could definetly do this way. good luck.So much easier using modeling chocolate when you go to cut and serve it and so much tastier.most people use round cutters and fold.

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 4:31am
post #5 of 6

Thank you. Yes thats what I am thinking. I will make some in advance and to fill in the spaces, I will make fresh pliable ones.

jcd1130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcd1130 Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 11:43am
post #6 of 6

It actually looks like they used a smallish heart cutter and then folder the heart slightly down the middle and pinched it a bit on the rounded ends.  I agree with the poster who suggested makin.g the decorations ahead and freezing them.  When working on a large project, that always works best for me.  It's less stress on the day the cake needs to be decorated.  Best of luck and let us know how you make out.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%