How Do I Get This Exact Color For This Wedding Cake?

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 12 Sep 2014 , 3:28am by kakeladi

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone. I have a wedding cake going out on the 4th of October. She gave me this photo (below) and I am stumped as to how to get that exact color.

I have tried to do lighter ivory looking cakes before and the color is ALWAYS way off...

Also, the board looks great! How do I get that to look like that? Any suggestions?

Help!

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 12

i grew up in caking when you had to mix your colors because primary colors were all that was available -- so i am like sherwin williams paint company when it comes to mixing colors -- but for ivory, off white, ecru i would never try to match because ultimately the lighting at the venue will determine the shade that comes out -- in other words it's futile -- i would verify with a client that i would do light or dark ivory but i've never even tired to match an off white -- even if my boss suggested it -- agh no --

best to you 

ps. we tossed cake scraps outside out huts to dinosaurs roaming by :lol:

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 12

The colour is so off in that photo that it looks just grey to me! And agree with K8, I do either white or ivory...I offer nothing more detailed than that for whites/ivories, since the finished colour can depend on things such as brand of fondant (even white fondant is never paper white as far as I have experienced), brand of food colouring, venue lighting, photographer editing, etc etc. 

The board is covered in fondant and edged with satin ribbon. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 3:15am
post #4 of 12

I agree w/Dayti.  I think that is a white cake.  You can make it any shade of off white you want by using just a *tiny!* dot of color added to white icing.  If you want something more on the candlelight/ecru/ivory side, use butter (even 1/2 butter/1/2Crisco) and regular brown vanilla.  Since that color looks grey to me (& Dayti) I suggest a toothpick lightly dipped into black paste color added to a rather large batch of what. 

Remember - you can always darken icing color (by adding a bit more paste color) but it's really hard to lighten it if you over add coloring :)

And I also agree w/Dayti when she said:.......brand of fondant/coloring used etc etc .........sure makes a HUGE difference.

And yes, as she said, the board is covered w/fondant.  Probably used a cake drum or you can build up as many cake circles as you want to get the thickness you want before covering it w/fondant.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 3:52am
post #5 of 12

I would suggest calling her and saying point blank, something like this: "The lighting in that photo is really dim, and is making the cake appear to be a color that it probably was not in person. It was probably a true white. I just want to make sure I get it right for you, so would be so kind as to clarify specifically what shade you would like, never mind what the photo looks like?" 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 3:53am
post #6 of 12

Unless she already specifically said that exact color, and you just didn't mention that in your post.

hmcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmcakery Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 5:01am
post #7 of 12

AAfter zooming in on the picture, it looks like white fondant to me with pearl dust covering the fondant ribbons and just plain white pearls. The board looks like it's just covered in white fondant with a ribbon. I agree though that you should clarify with the bride to make sure you're both on the same page :)

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 9:10am
post #8 of 12

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

ps. we tossed cake scraps outside out huts to dinosaurs roaming by :lol:

Oh, now I know why dinosaurs became extinct - their diet was so poor!!!

And all those years spent studying geology set me off on the wrong idea altogether, I thought it was volcanic eruptions and meteor impacts - but K8 says it was just cake!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 11:51am
post #9 of 12

Ai'm laughing my head off winniemog! but i mean who wouldn't choose cake over leaves twigs and small slow creatures -- HAHAHAHA

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 12:21pm
post #10 of 12

AYou are probably right K8, I am pretty partial to leaves and quite a few small slow creatures - but I'm not really a fan of twigs. So cake it is.....

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 12

AI never promise to recreate an exact color. I tell my clients that it will be similar to what they are asking.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 3:28am
post #12 of 12

............never promise to recreate an exact color. I tell my clients that it will be similar to what they are asking.............

This for sure!   One almost never can match a color *EXACTLY*.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%