Size Of Cake For 30 Non-Wedding Servings

Decorating By punkyf Updated 7 Sep 2014 , 1:42am by punkyf

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 1:02am
post #1 of 6

I am a home baker who usually only bakes for family. I have a friend who needs a cake for around 30 people. She wants a two tiered round cake. I see the wilton cake serving chart but it seems like it is for the smaller size pieces of cake for weddings. What size round cake pans would you use to get the 30 servings? I also have no idea what to charge. She wants some decoration but it doesn't seem like she wants anything too complicated. I checked with Publix supermarket and they want $78.00 for and 10' and 7" round with only a border. The bakeries around town want anywhere from $129.00 to $165.00.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Punkyf

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 1:40am
post #2 of 6

Athe traditional wedding serving size is what I and many places where I worked also used -- it is a good size -- it *sounds* small -- but it's not --

so if a customer wanted to serve larger servings I advised them to buy more servings -- so for example instead of a 30 serving cake -- they could buy a 45 serving cake -- I didn't care how they sliced it -- it's just the standard that is typically used industry wide --

So Wilton has a chart you can google - Wilton wedding cake data chart -- i'd say a 9x6 would fit your requirements that's about 44 servings -- next up would be a 9x7 or a 10x6 --

that chart will give you the 1x2x4" servings -- then just go bigger if you want to-- the 10x6 will serve over 50--

as far as pricing I'd split the difference and go about $125 to be fair --

best to you

punkyf Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 2:20am
post #3 of 6

Thank you K8memphis. I always make cakes for family and have never had to come up with a price for a cake. I think I like doing it just for fun. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 3:15am
post #4 of 6

I use the Wilton party serving size for all quotes--1.5x2x4 [12 cubic inches of cake and I've never had anyone complain that they didn't have enough cake.

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 6

Aa wedding serving size is about a cupcake and a half. if you use Indydebi's cake cutting method it will be much easier to cut. i'm on my cellphone but you can find it here or if you google her.

punkyf Posted 7 Sep 2014 , 1:42am
post #6 of 6

I really appreciate all of your responses. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%