Ganache, Smb & Buttercream

Decorating By ralbritton61 Updated 5 Sep 2014 , 3:09pm by ralbritton61

ralbritton61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ralbritton61 Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 12:50am
post #1 of 9

So....I've recently tried using a white chocolate ganache and smb on my cakes before I covered it in fondant. I had seen on here that it's doable however, I must have done something wrong. My ganache didn't really harden up under the fondant and was sort of gooey and with with smb I did panels on the side of the cake but when cut, they sort of fell off the cake. Can someone explain what I might be doing wrong? I would greatly appreciate it.

Rosie

8 replies
Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 1:01am
post #2 of 9

AWhat was your white chocolate to cream ratio for ganache? What was your egg to butter ratio for smbc? Was your cake straight from the fridge when cut?

ralbritton61 Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 1:19am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the quick reply. For my ganche I went with a 2:1 ratio if I remember correctly.  When I do smb I use about a cup of egg whites (7 eggs usually)  and a 1-1/2 of butter.  I wasn't there when they cut the smb cake but I had cautioned them to bring the cake to room temperature before eating. Another thing I had noticed that on both occasions when I went to smooth the fondant, it almost seemed like it was catching on my smoother.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 2:43am
post #4 of 9

AWhite chocolate ganache should be 3:1 or 4:1 choc to cream ratio depending on your environment, for higher temperatures use more chocolate to cream. This is why your ganache didn't set up.

Original message sent by ralbritton61

When I do smb I use about a cup of egg whites (7 eggs usually)  and a 1-1/2 of butter.

1-1/2 what of butter?

And I'm not sure what you mean by panels of SMBC on the side of the cake that fell off? How were they attached? Were they directly on fondant or ganache?

ralbritton61 Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 2:53am
post #5 of 9

Ah, thanks for solving the ganache mystery.  Oops, I'm sorry. 1-1/2 lbs of unsalted butter.  For the cake, I made chocolate fondant panels for the chest and used that on the side of the cake. See below

winniemog Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 2:57am
post #6 of 9

AWhat is the dark brown material covering your cake, it's hard to tell from the photo? And how did you attach the fondant panels?

ralbritton61 Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 3:01am
post #7 of 9

The brown material is fondant. I cut it to the size of the sides of the cakes and attached it to the smb. That's the part I was told didn't stick when they cut it.

winniemog Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 4:41am
post #8 of 9

AI've never had the fondant fall off a SMBC covered cake when it's cut. Did you use a little water or syrup to help the fondant adhere to the SMBC? Was your fondant quite thick? I'm hoping someone else will have some ideas to help!

ralbritton61 Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 9

I don't think the fondant was too thick but I didn't use any water or syrup on it. I figured it was stick well enough to the smbc by itself. I did use water to attached the decorations to the outside of the fondant.  I've only done fondant over american bc before and never had to use anything on it. Live and learn. Thanks again for all your help on this. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%