Separating A Tiered Cake

Decorating By Max1016 Updated 5 Sep 2014 , 3:25am by denetteb

Max1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Max1016 Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 7

AMy question isn't really about decorating but separating a tiered cake. I will be making a 3 tier cake and my problem is not stacking the cakes, but taking them apart to cut. Since the cake will be sitting out for a while, the frosting obviously will become soft and my concern is that the frosting on the top of the middle and bottom layers will come off when the layer above is removed which would make for a very messy looking serving. I would hate to spend time refrosting before slicing. Is there a trick to this problem or do I just refrost? I appreciate any suggestions.

6 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 7

it's gonna come off, but you can make it a little easier if you just cut the layers right on the cake, get down to the bare cardboard, scrape the BC off the bottom and then schmear it back on. 

i wouldn't attempt this for a larger cake and I wouldn't do it in front of the guests. 

regardless, no one will notice the missing BC if your slices are even and uniform. 

Max1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Max1016 Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 7

AThat's what I thought. Thank you.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 7

Also, some people sprinkle crumbs on top of frosting, before putting a tier on top, crumbs prevent frosting to stick to board. That way you won`t have to scrape frosting off the board and refrost. I have read a tread about it here on CC.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 12:55am
post #5 of 7

You could also try a little powdered sugar on the frosting under the cake board or parchment paper.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 1:07am
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkmcmahan 

You could also try a little powdered sugar on the frosting under the cake board or parchment paper.

Oh, yes a lot better than crumbs. Does frosting absorb powdered sugar?

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 3:25am
post #7 of 7

When I did my one tiered cake I did a lot of research to read different ideas.  What I chose to do was leave the slightest gap between the top of the cake and the support dowels so the upper tier was just a hair above the lower cake, not sitting down into it at all.  Not sure if it was just luck or technique but when I separated the tiers to cut and serve the cake the upper tiers came off without taking any frosting off the tier beneath.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%