Am I Setting Myself Up For A Cake Carving Nightmare?

Decorating By hil86 Updated 6 Oct 2014 , 6:31pm by cakebaby2

hil86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hil86 Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 8

AHello! Hobby baker here, about to start a purse cake for my friend. I have minimal carving experience but enough to understand that using cakes that have nuts or chocolate chips etc. is a no no when carving. My friend really wants pumpkin chocolate chip cake, but before telling her that it won't work I had an idea that I'd like a little feedback on. I thought that I could pour my batter into my pans without chips, and then carefully add chips toward the center of the pans mixing very carefully. I'm hoping that as I go to carve, mostly on the edges I won't hit very many chips. The few that I do hit I was thinking I could patch with a mixture of cake and buttercream. Cake spackle as I call it! Has anyone out there ever tried something like this, and if so, how did it go? Any thoughts??

7 replies
vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 8

APaul Bradford has a purse tutorial that has very little carving to it. Why not make the cake pumpkin flavored and cover it in ganache?

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 8

You can do a purse cake that has very little carving like this one http://cakejournal.com/tutorials/how-to-make-a-purse-cake/

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 8

AI have made a cake like the one posted by Goreti, it was really east to do.

If you need a bigger cake I would try: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/163044448979844345/

It looks hard because of the wine bottle, flowers and extra decore but the cake itself is very easy to make. It is basically a rectangle cake with rounded edges. I was suprised how easy it was to make this cake.

hil86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hil86 Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 8

A[ATTACHMENT=1965]image.jpg (1,518k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]Thanks for your help! I know this was forever ago, but I used the ganache idea and omitted the chips. It tasted great and the cake was a hit!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 8

well i guess it was a hit --  toys, personalized bib, fuzzy teddy bear with a bow tie no less, bottle, pacifier, is that a lamb there etc.-- chevrons and quilting -- i mean dooney & bourke doesn't put any more detail in their handles than you put in yours -- looks like the only thing you missed was a towel with baby spit up on it :-D

that is outstanding -- you outdid yourself

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 8

and fwiw while i can't actually remember sculpting anything with choco chips or nuts in it -- i would not hesitate to do a sculpture with chippy, nutty, lumpy cake

:-D

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 8

Its a lovely cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%