Another Hot Weather Thread - But This Time, It's Going To Be Really Hot. (Arizona)

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 8 Sep 2014 , 12:48am by dukeswalker

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 21

I am creating a centerpiece cake for a large (3,000+ people/news/photos/etc) event at a local school celebration.  1/2 of the cake will be made of dummies but there will be three layers of actual cake.  The cake will spend 1+ hour in an area that will be facing the setting sun... in Arizona.  The projected temp will be about 107-110.  I will be keeping that baby chilled until *just* before it's time to set it up but I still worry about it being in the sun, at that temperature.  

I have free reign on flavor combos and I would like to do 1 tier a chocolate gluten free cake, 1 tier chocolate cake, and 1 tier a lemon cake.  Do I dare use any fillings or stick with BC?  Do I use ganache instead of BC on the chocolate tiers?  

Any input would be super helpful!

20 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 21

I have done b'cream cakes that sat outside in 102-104 temps (in CA) w/o problems.  I myself didn't taste it but was told by someone who attended one of the affairs that it did not melt - just was a bit dry. 

I didn't know it was going to be set up *hours* before the event in someone's yard with NO shade :(  I just delivered it when & where told - didn't find out until that guy mentioned it.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 12:13am
post #3 of 21

I would put fondant on that baby!  Hopefully AZcouture will chime in, but if I remember correctly she refuses to do cakes without fondant for outside venues. 

dukeswalker Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 12:17am
post #4 of 21

Fondant is going on this - for. sure.  I have made cakes in AZ for years but I haven't ever had one have to deal with the heat AND the sun....

cheryl848 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheryl848 Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 12:51am
post #5 of 21

if you want the gluten free layer (tier ) to be truly gluten free, i would advise you to make a separate cake, because every time you cut you are dragging the knife through the layers with gluten,

cheryl

dukeswalker Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 21

The way I began baking cakes was the need for gluten free cakes within my own family/circle of friends (several members with sever gluten intolerance/celiac disease). On a multi tiered cake, the GF tier is always the top tier, separated by SPS that has been made just a wee too tall so that the GF cake never actually touches the other tiers of cake.  It is also the first tier to be taken apart and cut to ensure that there isn't any cross contamination. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 21

AOh Imma chiming in, you betcha! I would flat out REFUSE to allow that cake to.sit in the setting sun. Who's idea is that?! We both know how deadly that sun is here, no way! They need to provide some shade for you, period.

dukeswalker Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 21

OK - Done... I'll figure out some sort of shade set up (sun will be coming from the front/side - not over top).  What about fillings?  Risk it or just stick with BC?  And for the chocolate cake - can I go with a whipped ganahe, covered in ganache?

Thanks for the help guys!  (Also - this cake is for a school that is near and dear to my heart.  My kids go here.  I substitute teach only at this school.  It's one of those amazing public schools that you wish every single kid could attend.)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 21

I would not use ganache.  I can't imagine that *not* melting.

I used Charlotte's Whipped Cream BC for years.  And I delivered EARLY.  Even when the temp and humidity were in the high 90s.  Never an issue.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 21

Dark chocolate ganache can be quite stable in high temps.  The higher the cocoa percentage the more stable.  Not true for white chocolate.  I cannot speak to BC's that uses shortening only because I use butter.  For me, I would use ganache.  Let it set up at room temp to get a nice hard shell.

When my daughter got married the wedding was held in a vineyard - 90 degrees and humid.  The baker told her if she wanted a cake outdoors in that heat and humidity, please use someone else.  I applauded him :)

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 21

You could show your client this youtube video:

dukeswalker Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 21

Sweet Mother of all things hot and melted.  8O

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 12:38am
post #13 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukeswalker 

Sweet Mother of all things hot and melted.  8O

Are you saying you're having a HEAT WAVE......................  it's 88 f. on my porch and it's stifling horribly hot here in Alaska.

dukeswalker Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 7:13pm
post #14 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Are you saying you're having a HEAT WAVE......................  it's 88 f. on my porch and it's stifling horribly hot here in Alaska.

Actually - we're having a cool down!! We went from 108F yesterday to 105F today!! Oh!  And humid!  

I spoke with the secretary from the school (and sent her that youtube video for good measure!  I may actually send that to all summertime cake orders that want it in the sun/outisde...) and we are going to arrange to find a place inside that will be away from the bumping, pushing crowd of kids.  ;)

dukeswalker Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 11:08pm
post #15 of 21

The weather gods were good!  We had a quasi storm roll over us and cooled us down to about 90 AND it was overcast so we didn't have any direct sunlight.  We also moved the cake inside where everyone would pass by it on their way outside.  Thanks for all the feedback! (the top two tiers are a replica of the school...)

A cake to celebrate curriculum night/back to school/earning an A+ ranking by the state of AZ.  The top two tiers are a replicate of the front of the school.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 11:18pm
post #16 of 21

Yay!  So glad the weather was in you favor!  The cake looks gorgeous!  Well done!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 12:11am
post #17 of 21

Quote:

The weather gods were good!  We had a quasi storm roll over us and cooled us down to about 90 AND it was overcast so we didn't have any direct sunlight.  We also moved the cake inside where everyone would pass by it on their way outside.  Thanks for all the feedback! (the top two tiers are a replica of the school...)

A cake to celebrate curriculum night/back to school/earning an A+ ranking by the state of AZ.  The top two tiers are a replicate of the front of the school.

dukeswalker.....This cake really is HOT!  Very Nice cake.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 21

Quote:

Well done!  The cake is awesome.  So glad it all worked out.  The cakey gods were watching over you :)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 3:48pm
post #19 of 21

AOh thank God! So did you ice with ganache, smbc, what? A few summers ago, one of my regulars insisted on the park for her party. In August, at about 5pm. I wanted to scream. ABC is just not an option, ever, I just won't use it period, but the cake survived. Delivered last minute to make it a surprise for the birthday kiddo. They set up in the shade, cut it about thirty minutes later. Gah....makes me want to gag to this day.

dukeswalker Posted 8 Sep 2014 , 12:45am
post #20 of 21

For the chocolate tiers I did used ganache - but the lemon/white tiers, I went with a vanilla bean ABC.  I did use some shortening (blech...) just to make it a little more "melt resistant".  We also kept it in the cafeteria which was icey cold until *just* when they opened the doors.  

dukeswalker Posted 8 Sep 2014 , 12:48am
post #21 of 21

Quote:

For the chocolate tiers I did used ganache - but the lemon/white tiers, I went with a vanilla bean ABC.  I did use some shortening (blech...) just to make it a little more "melt resistant".  We also kept it in the cafeteria which was icey cold until *just* when they opened the doors.  

But really - it was a stroke of good weather luck with a monsoon rolling in enough to cool everything down and block out the sun but didn't bring any rain or dust with it....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%