My First Cc-Inspired Cake

Decorating By Cevamal Updated 31 Aug 2014 , 2:33am by Cevamal

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 9

I've been baking since I was a kid (30 years!) and can make a fabulous cake but my decorating has always been a sad state of affairs.

A little while back I stumbled across this forum and now I'm obsessed with making a prettier cake. I have no hopes or dreams of making the amazing creations shown here (I don't have a creative bone in my body!) but I want to kick it up a notch.

Yesterday was my mom's birthday so I made her favorite carrot cake with cream cheese frosting:

My first cake post-CC introduction. My 11yo made the gumpaste figures and I made MM fondant (for the first time!) to cover the board.

My 11yo made the gumpaste bits and came up with the finely chopped pecan "dirt" and I made fondant (first time!) for the board. After reading here I just couldn't leave it naked.

It doesn't hold a candle to the phenomenal creations around here but it's loads better than anything I've put out before. :D 

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 9

that's awesome -- i bet your mom loves it -- your 11 yo did a great job with the carrots & 'dirt' -- if you keep pushing it there's no telling what you can accomplish --good stuff! fondant covered board -- get outa here!

Cevamal Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 9

AThe pork chops had 1.5h in the oven. I was all "hey wait! I have marshmallows!"

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 9

so you mean you tossed it together at the last minute? even better! too cool

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 9

As you practice, you will get better and better. I think you did a good job on your cake!! You can go on you tube and find all kinds of videos on cake borders, icing flowers, buttercream flowers,cake piping,etc and you can learn just about anything you want to.  All it takes is practice and more practice!!  You can do it!!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cevamal 

I've been baking since I was a kid (30 years!) and can make a fabulous cake but my decorating has always been a sad state of affairs.

A little while back I stumbled across this forum and now I'm obsessed with making a prettier cake. I have no hopes or dreams of making the amazing creations shown here (I don't have a creative bone in my body!) but I want to kick it up a notch.

As Shrek would say, "Join the club, we have jackets."

I'm exactly like you!  Sometimes my decorating looks like a clunky monkey from hell has attacked my baked goods.  hehe

But I've advanced from messes with a star tip on a Wilton pan, to messes with modeling chocolate,  fondant, gumpaste, swiss meringue buttercream, ganache, and a whole assortment of mad scientist cake recipe experiments.  So for the non-artist like us......... Let's make a delicious dessert.

Cevamal Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 9

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

so you mean you tossed it together at the last minute? even better! too cool

As I do most things. :o

I made the cake and frosting the day before. My daughter made the gumpaste stuff after school. I did the board and put the pecans on while dinner was in the oven and she arranged the figures while I was clearing dinner dishes.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 9

Cevamal  I'd be pleased to join you and your daughter for a piece of your cake.  Keep baking and decorating. I like the little rabbit eating the carrot.

Cevamal Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 2:33am
post #9 of 9

AThat was all her! We make a great team:all I want to do is make the canvas and she gets to decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%