Need Help, Soon!

Business By cakealicious123 Updated 7 Sep 2014 , 7:00am by cakealicious123

cakealicious123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious123 Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 11:46am
post #1 of 26

i got asked by my aunty, to make my little baby cousins baptism cake and this is what i did, it cost me $46 to make (with out time incorporated) and took me about 3 hours all up to make, not sure how much i am going to charge as i don't want to rip her off as she is a family member but want to cover my costs. I'm only 13 years old and need to deliver it tomorrow, please help!
25 replies
cakealicious123 Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 11:47am
post #2 of 26

sorry the photo didn't work i will try it again

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 26

Athe picture came through -- I think $100 sounds good for family unless aunty is figuring on you donating your time to the cause -- maybe tell her what you said here -- your 'out of pocket' expense is $46 and there's at least three hours of time spent --

idk-- it can get ticky with family and you're quite young and that's an amazing effort -- you did great -- if you were my niece I'd give you $150 to $200 depending on size --

does the 3 hours include your shopping and clean up time?

you did really good, young lady

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 26

but i would give that price because i am a caker and you have impressed me --not because the cake is kerry vincent competition perfect-- see what i mean -- do you think your aunt would freak out if you said a hundred dollars? because a lot of people would -- not trying to be scary just trying to discuss this a bit w/you --

have your parents advised anything?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 26

How big is it? I'm trying to figure how you got to $46 not including your time? It seems like a lot to me. Are you sure you did the math properly? 

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 26

AThat is adorable. Nice work!

I really don't have any advice on pricing, sorry. If you were my kid I would have bought the ingredients to make your cousin's cake but it's still a confusing situation as to whether you're making it as a gift or are to be paid.

Have you asked your parents for advice?

I'm surprised it came to $46, too.

Can I ask how you made the blocks?

cakealicious123 Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cevamal 

That is adorable. Nice work!

I really don't have any advice on pricing, sorry. If you were my kid I would have bought the ingredients to make your cousin's cake but it's still a confusing situation as to whether you're making it as a gift or are to be paid.

Have you asked your parents for advice?

I'm surprised it came to $46, too.

Can I ask how you made the blocks?

the cubes are just fondant and are quite big about 5cm squared each on an 8 inch cake 

cakealicious123 Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

but i would give that price because i am a caker and you have impressed me --not because the cake is kerry vincent competition perfect-- see what i mean -- do you think your aunt would freak out if you said a hundred dollars? because a lot of people would -- not trying to be scary just trying to discuss this a bit w/you --

have your parents advised anything?

my parents think charge around $40 but i still think that is a little to less as that would only just cover my costs

thanks Xx

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 26

because you are 13, because life is not fair, because your parents said so-- charge the $40 -- ask your parents first but you could show your aunty this thread so she can make her own judgement call on a sweet tip for you -- but please ask your parents first --

keep going, gf -- when you get a cake request -- fill out an invoice with a fair market reasonable price then show the generous 'family/friend discount' -- this will prepare/educate everyone as to how it should be and will be going forward --  bide your time and you'll soon be where you want to be --

if you start to feel burnt out where you cringe if you get a request and you feel sad while you're doing a cake -- it's ok to say "no i can't do your cake i'm taking a break from it now" -- it's ok to say that after you complete all your orders but you don't have to take any more --

and dayti--i'm going to hazard a guess that that's what she spent at the store in order to get the cake done -- maybe she was out of oil and vanilla etc. so had to buy that in order to proceed -- not that she used all of it but that's her out of pocket -- not exactly the amounts she used -- but the only reason she bought it was because of aunty's cake -- is that right, cakealicious? or did you cost everything out to determine the vanilla cost $4 and you used 50 cents worth -- because it seems your parents understand you had ingredients leftover maybe? they only want you to charge 40 out of 46 --

because i am sure your parents understand the incredible gift you have to be able to perform at this level at this age -- there's room for improvement but that just means you can charge more when it's the right time --

i'm really proud of you -- this is a ton of education you're digging into -- are those fondant covered cake cubes, cakealicious123?

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 26

I can only say that for 13 years of age, you did fantastic!!! WOW!!! Your cake is very nice and it is hard to believe you are only 13 years old!! Congratulations on a job well done!!!

cakealicious123 Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 26

yes the cubes are fondant and this is how we worked out the pricing:

cake                                $10   i bought one of the 1kg fake mixes from the supplier.
gnash                              $10  
box & board                    $5
dots cross and ribbon     $5
bow and blocks               $5
white fondant                   $10                        

whoops I've never been good at maths its $45.

cakealicious123 Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 10:38pm
post #12 of 26

thankyou so much it means a lot to me as i have wanted to be a cake decorator since i was about 8

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 11:06pm
post #13 of 26

Yes, your cake is nice!!! 

My only suggestion is when someone ask you to make something for them, ask up front, is this a gift, is there a budget, are we splitting the cost? 

Proceeding with out directions can be scary. 

Just say, Okay, I have a question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Most people do not bite and may have an answer for you!

cakealicious123 Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 11:31pm
post #14 of 26

yes thanks for your help I'm not doing it as a gift, she will be paying me. Xx

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 12:15am
post #15 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakealicious123 

"....... I'm only 13 years old and need to deliver it tomorrow, please help!"

It's important to speak with your parents for guidance on your handling of this issue.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 12:53am
post #16 of 26

A

Original message sent by cakealicious123

yes thanks for your help I'm not doing it as a gift, she will be paying me. Xx

Price should be determined upfront. Before anything is bought and a lot of time is spent on design. No one buys anything without knowing the cost. Your business should be the same - even if your customers are family.

cakealicious123 Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 7:01am
post #17 of 26

thanks for that i just ended up charging for the product and not for time and effort.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 11:41am
post #18 of 26

Asmart move, cakealicious, take the money and invest it in your next creation -- you're on your way --

i'm proud of you

DeliciousEmma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousEmma Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 1:37am
post #19 of 26

Yes, explain that it cost $45 in material and offer to show her the receipts if you kept them. You should also include cost of making the cake, flour, sugar eggs etc.

It's always best to discuss cost up front before you make the cake but when you are young, starting out, it's hard to know what it's going to cost before you buy everything. You've done an amazing job!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 1:07pm
post #20 of 26

I think you need to have a talk with your parents.   You spent $45 but they only wanted you to charge $40?  Did your parents give you the extra $5 to make up for what you spent?  Or did your parents buy the ingredients?  You also worked for free.  Did you go to the party also?   Was the cake considered part of your gift as well if you did go?

There's a lot to take into consideration here. 

First, it can be hard to have a conversation with your parents at that age about anything serious or important.  Come prepared with things written down so that you can look at your notes. 

Second, do you think of this as a business to make money (like babysitting) or do you just want to do it for fun and to improve?  Do your parents think this is just a hobby so they don't expect you to make money and are just doing this for fun?    If you want to actually do this as a business you need to treat it as a business.  Keep track of everything you spend and the amount of time you work. But you also need to think about the following:

I'm guessing you used their kitchen to make this cake.  Are you giving them money for the electricity and water you used?  Did they drive you to the store to buy the ingredients?  Then that was their gas and time they had to spend to do that.

If you want to make money doing this but your parents don't you can approach it this way - If our parents work maybe ask them if they would work for free for three hours.  Use the example if they make $20 per hour at their job (or use the real number if you know it), would they be willing to give up $60 of pay?

Finally, if you want to do this as a business find out if it is legal to do so in your state.  It doesn't matter that you are only 13.  You still need to follow the law.

Your cake shows a lot of talent.  Keep practicing.  :smile:

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 1:52pm
post #21 of 26

AGreat cake!! Wonderful job for a 13 yr old. I'm just a hobby baker...but I have a hard and fast rule. If someone asks me to make a cake....I charge them. Depends on the relationship as to price in ingredients, time, labour etc. If I offer to make the cake....it's free. That's usually done as my gift in lieu of a present. I do agree with everything cakesbycathy has posted. Well stated. Personally, it would be nice if your parents gave the amount of money to make up for your time & labour you put out, considering it was for a close family member. Keep baking and decorating...your quiet talented...:grin:

cakealicious123 Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 5:57am
post #22 of 26

thanks so much i really appreciate it

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 12:36am
post #23 of 26

AIt looks like it could easily add up to $46.00 if she had to by the fondant at retail. I think $100.00 might be a fair price. I would "spread the word" to family and friends, this is my motto: If I volunteer the cake is free, if you ask me then there is a charge. Very good work!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 1:02am
post #24 of 26

AThat is my motto too Sandeeb:smile:

cakealicious123 Posted 7 Sep 2014 , 6:56am
post #25 of 26

yeah thanks for that she asked me so i did charge her and i have done a few gift cakes too.

cakealicious123 Posted 7 Sep 2014 , 7:00am
post #26 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakealicious123 

yeah thanks for that she asked me so i did charge her and i have done a few gift cakes too.

also i charged her just the $45 as I'm only starting and it wasn't the best. thanks so much for all the help with everything on this thread Xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%