Make A Fondant Cutter From A Stencil?

Decorating By LizKatherine Updated 26 Aug 2014 , 8:19pm by -K8memphis

LizKatherine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizKatherine Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 9

Hey all, anyone know how to make a cutter from a stencil? I have this beautiful stencil of a couple dancing, but I would much rather figure a way to make it with fondant, not buttercream. I've thought of using my exacto knife (sp?) and just doing that on the fondant... any other suggestions? 

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 9

Athere is a real good tutorial on this site and many on the internet on how to make cookie cutters -- there's also a nifty kit you can buy to make your own -- I'm pretty sure it's available on amazon -- if I was on my other computer I'd get the links for you -- but just post back here if you have any trouble finding them --

best to you

The Boss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The Boss Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 9

AIt's called a Scalpel! Cut it!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 9

Cutting it out with an exacto or scalpel will be easier than making a cutter from it.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 9

Ayes if you just need a few cutting them out is easier -- if you do decide to make a cutter-- if you cut out your pattern out on quarter inch foamcore you can bend your cutter material around that -- it's not difficult at all

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 9

K8memphis,that is a brilliant idea!!!!  Foam core to make the shape and then to make the cutter!!! Thank you.

CIAO!!!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 9

oh cool! thank you --

you still need some rounded shapes like a pen and a sharpie to make small and large rounded areas -- and something to help you make a sharp corner -- like some kind of wedge -- because the material is so bendable it will crack on you if you wiggle it much -- if it does crack -- no worries -- just glue another piece on top of it

and the thing to remember most of all is to keep it square with the table top when you are shaping and when you glue/tape it together --

best to you

LizKatherine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizKatherine Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks all for these suggestions! I ended up just stenciling it on with buttercream. I was afraid it wouldn't be smooth like fondant but I used my bench scrape to remove the excess icing. It turned out just like a fondant cut out so I was pleased. You can see the final result in my bridal shower cake below :)The "curtain" side things are ombre but its difficult to see :(

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 9

you did great! looks perfect

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%