Best Ever Banana Pudding Cake Recipe

Baking By icklepickle Updated 12 Jun 2016 , 5:17am by Apti

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 7:59pm
post #61 of 89

msbell21...my oldest son would love to have bacon on EVERYTHING!  He is a bacon fanatic!  But I must seriously try this recipe.  It sounds wonderful.  I'll try it without the bacon for the rest of the family, then with the bacon for my oldest son.  He will actually get it both ways and can decide which is his favorite.  Thanks so much for sharing this MBalaska.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 10:15pm
post #62 of 89

You're Welcome.   This was a great find.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 11:03pm
post #63 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laetia 

( I can't use the word "moist" anymore, somebody traumatised me on this forum.... tapedshut.gif )

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I can "see" the giant word M O I S T as we speak.  That was a fun-n-n-n-n-y thread.   (I think we've all been scarred.....)

MBAlaska~~Well!  Now you've done it!  I just changed into a new, clean blouse and now it has drool ALL over it!

and then....  Virago chimes in..... SHEESH!  Gorgeous presentation on that cake, Virago!  Are the "bamboo" made of buttercream?  You have some mad piping skills.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 11:14pm
post #64 of 89

Okay, I baked this today.  Since I only needed a 6 inch cake to decorate, I made some home.  It was calling out to me and I just had a slice.  It is DELICIOUS!   This will definitely be my go to banana cake recipe from now on.  Doesn't even need any frosting.  YUMMMMMMMMM  So glad that I decided to read this thread.  Thank you.

Sock Monkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sock Monkey Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 11:31pm
post #65 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goreti 

Okay, I baked this today.  Since I only needed a 6 inch cake to decorate, I made some home.  It was calling out to me and I just had a slice.  It is DELICIOUS!   This will definitely be my go to banana cake recipe from now on.  Doesn't even need any frosting.  YUMMMMMMMMM  So glad that I decided to read this thread.  Thank you.

I don't need frosting, but usually want it. I'm sure there's a life lesson in there somewhere...

I want to make this so badly, but got some oaty lemon  lavender madeleines lined up for the weekend and then have to start trialling a wedding cake next week. I need to find room for this cake!

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 11:43pm
post #66 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sock Monkey 

I don't need frosting, but usually want it. I'm sure there's a life lesson in there somewhere...

I want to make this so badly, but got some oaty lemon  lavender madeleines lined up for the weekend and then have to start trialling a wedding cake next week. I need to find room for this cake!

You do need to find room.  It is really good.  I've already sent this recipe to 3 of my "cake friends".  I know they are like me, always looking for new recipes to try out.  

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 12:44am
post #67 of 89

OMG.  I. Must. Make. This.  Everything, including the bacon.  (By the way, I'm unfamiliar with the term "leftover bacon".  Is that something new?)

I always have overripe bananas in the freezer.  What a find!  Awesome!  Thank you!

MBalaska Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 12:49am
post #68 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathleenC 

OMG.  I. Must. Make. This.  Everything, including the bacon.  (By the way, I'm unfamiliar with the term "leftover bacon".  Is that something new?)

It's a lot like the elusive Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow.......:madhatter:

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 12:53am
post #69 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

It's a lot like the elusive Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow.......:madhatter:

In my house, the chances of finding the elusive Pot of Gold are far greater than finding "leftover bacon".  :D

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 2:14pm
post #70 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I can "see" the giant word M O I S T as we speak.  That was a fun-n-n-n-n-y thread.   (I think we've all been scarred.....)

MBAlaska~~Well!  Now you've done it!  I just changed into a new, clean blouse and now it has drool ALL over it!

and then....  Virago chimes in..... SHEESH!  Gorgeous presentation on that cake, Virago!  Are the "bamboo" made of buttercream?  You have some mad piping skills.

Yep, all buttercream! Thanks for the praise @Apti!!!

msbelle21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbelle21 Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 2:22am
post #71 of 89

ACurious, has anyone used this recipe for cupcakes?

MBalaska Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 2:40am
post #72 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbelle21 

Curious, has anyone used this recipe for cupcakes?

Banana cupcakes, banana SMBC, fondant bananas

Yes.

msbelle21 Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 2:44am
post #73 of 89

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

[URL=http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3279298/]Banana cupcakes, banana SMBC, fondant bananas [/URL]

Yes.

Silly me. I totally saw that picture earlier. *embarrassed*

I just reread that they were flat just like the cakes. Bummer. I love domed cupcakes but I can't get myself to stray from this recipe.

married2kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
married2kitchen Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 5:06am
post #74 of 89

A

Original message sent by msbelle21

Silly me. I totally saw that picture earlier. *embarrassed*

I just reread that they were flat just like the cakes. Bummer. I love domed cupcakes but I can't get myself to stray from this recipe.

Hi I see those pretty cupcakes and wanted to know how many cupcakes does this make and what temp and time to bake them for since they are cupcakes? Thank you!

MBalaska Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 6:42am
post #75 of 89

Quote:

icklepickle:  Oh Good Heavens, Just mixed up the last recipe above^^  "Best ever banana cake"  with the buttermilk.

The batter tastes like banana ice cream, I could eat the whole bowl with a spoon.   It is also a huge recipe.  It says use a 9"x13" pan.   But  I've got an 8"x2" round, two 6"x2" rounds in the oven;  and enough batter left for about a half dozen or more cupcakes.

Quote:

Well here's the cupcakes.  I made some bananas out of Satin Ice fondant & tylose.

http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/3279298/a/3436443/banana-cupcakes-banana-smbc-fondant-bananas/

but I have to admit........I just couldn't bring myself to bake at 275 f, so I went up to 300 f.  It takes a long time to cook, but they are so soft and delicious!!  It must be the buttermilk.

Have to refer to my earlier posts, I do entirely too much baking to remember in my head.

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 5:49pm
post #76 of 89

AI made the recipe as written into a 9x13 and six cupcakes. I didn't try it because I hate bananas buy everyone else loved it.

If I make it again I'll sieve the bananas. I feel like some lumps made it through. I don't know if they were noticeable in the finished product but I know!

MBalaska Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 6:00pm
post #77 of 89

If you use the flat bottomed stainless steel potato masher you'll not get lumps.  The wire bottomed potato masher does not work as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004OCL9/?tag=cakecentral-20

MBalaska Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 6:10pm
post #78 of 89

It also helps to add just a spash of your milk to the bananas to help with the mushing.

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 6:16pm
post #79 of 89

AThey mushed very easily (they'd been frozen) it just wasn't 100% smooth. I use them that way workout a second thought for banana bread but for cake I want a perfectly smooth puree.

MBalaska Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 12:31am
post #80 of 89

Just got some feedback on this cake today from two families that received this 'Best Ever Banana Pudding Cake'.............They said that it was the best banana cakes I've ever made for them.  AND the men of the house absolutely loved it!   That was nice news.

msbelle21 Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 3:27am
post #81 of 89

Nice! I ended up making the cake last Sunday. I had some bananas that were conveniently turning brown. :)

It was a 6" round and just something small to have my younger sisters come over and have fun decorating something. We ended up making a nutella buttercream for it. Very yum. Next time, I'll try a chocolate peanut butter buttercream.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 11:47pm
post #82 of 89

AToday was the day, I finaly made it! 24 cupcakes + 24 minis, all dressed up with a chocolate-peanut butter buttercream swirl. Sssssooooo goooooddddddd :D Best banana cupcake ever

My [S]guinea-pigs[/S] co-workers will be so happy tomorow morning... I bet that the plate will be empty before 10AM... Yeah, they are that kind of people!

Thanks for sharing this recipe.

icklepickle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icklepickle Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 8:11pm
post #83 of 89

Oh my word :o how many replies !!! Soooooo sorry, I have been busy with my photography business...All the replies have been going to my other email address that I haven't been checking :-/ 

In answer to the freezer question...I have made it with and without freezing and freezing it most certainly makes a difference, but amazing without doing so too. I think there is def something in the freezing, locking in moisture...As I never used to freeze my chocolate Guiness cake and it was delicious, but freezing it, it was extra, extra moist and ooey gooey :-D

MBalaska Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 10:12pm
post #84 of 89

I've greatly enjoyed this recipe yum

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 11:56pm
post #85 of 89

I made the banana cake and everyone that I gave some to has said it is absolutely delicious!  So glad I saw it in the threads!  ;-D

icklepickle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icklepickle Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 6:55am
post #86 of 89

:grin:

GloriCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GloriCreations Posted 6 Jun 2016 , 6:12pm
post #87 of 89

Yellow cake mix is a boxed cake mix. Pillsbury and Betty Crocker, oh and Duncan Hines are the brands that you can find it. Some gourmet brands have also started making box mixes.

I personally don't use them but a lot of people do, You can also doctor them up to taste like scratch cake.......................

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 3:38am
post #88 of 89

Wow, aging really sucks!

After this thread was included in a "Banana" email from CC this week, I decided to make this cake, because it sounded so amazing.  I had some problems with it--- very dense, very little rise.   So, I thought I'd check in on CC to see if I could figure out what I did wrong.

Turns out, I made this same cake about 6 years ago, and had the exact same problem!   I hadn't remembered making it before.   Here's the thread:  Previous attempt at Banana Cake

For whatever reason, my technique doesn't work with this recipe. At least other bakers had the same issues I did, as I discovered when reading the reviews from the original site.

If I'd recalled my previous attempt, I wouldn't have wasted all my buttermilk and ripe bananas.  SMH.  

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 5:17am
post #89 of 89

I've made this 3 times.  The first 2 times I followed the recipe EXACTLY by mixing the ingredients in the order stated in the recipe below.

The 3rd time.....I didn't read the whole recipe and just dumped everything in the mixing bowl at the same time.  Oh Dear God.  It was so freakishly bad that it was funny. 

I re-typed the instructions on my computer with giant red letters at the top that say:   READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE STARTING!!! 

This is the recipe that I used VERY successfully 2 times.  (I did not put into the freezer while still hot.)   Both times it was fabulous.  Buy, oh my...... that 3rd time was the stuff of nightmares.

BANANA CAKE (scratch, Single Recipe)

1-1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe

2 teaspoons lemon juice

3 cups flour

1 ½ teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup butter, softened at room temperature

2-1/8 cups sugar

3 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

1-1/2 cups buttermilk [OR 6 Tablespoons SaCo Cultured Buttermilk Blend dry mix sifted in dry ingredients AND 1-1/2 cup water added to wet ingredients]

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300°.

Grease and flour pans

In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.

Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.

Stir in banana mixture.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (Because of the low baking temperature, it may take an hour or more, depending on the size/shape of your pan.)

Yield: Two 9x2 pans, or 9x13 sheet cake pan

Per MBAlaska of CakeCentral: “two 9x2: @ 300 F took 1 hour and 25 minutes to cook, parchment collars & 1 rose nail.

Optional: Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist. (Per MBAlaska: freezing not needed)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%