Best Ever Banana Pudding Cake Recipe

Baking By icklepickle Updated 12 Jun 2016 , 5:17am by Apti

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 6:18pm
post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by virago 

I agree, the "Best Ever Banana Cake" recipe is AWESOME! -- http://dessert.food.com/recipe/best-ever-banana-cake-with-cream-cheese-frosting-67256

It does not need to be 'freezered'; it's moist from the start and stays that way even over days in the frig. it is a very rich cake!

I bake it low and slow, just like the recipe says, in 2 NordicWare 9x2.5" rounds, parchment lined bottoms, flour-sprayed sides, cake-strip wrapped pans. the cakes rise almost to the top of the pans and are completely flat.

last time I made it, I switched out the creamcheese frosting for a peanutbutter/chocolate buttercream combo to fill and frost. DELICIOUS!

Luau themed, banana cake, peanutbutter-chocolate ABC, piped tiki face/hula skirt/ bamboo, drop flowers, 9"

Virago I'm glad to hear that you also had success with cooling this cake normally.   Your cake is really cool!!  Love those decorations.  What a flavor combination Yummy   Peanut Butter, Chocolate and banana  sounds like a super sundae delight.

And that's exactly what the inside of my cake looked like also.!!

MBalaska Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 7:06pm
post #32 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by remnant3333 

For MBalaska, recipe says 9 x 13 pan but I notice iclepickle used a round pan in her pictures. Is that a 10 inch round pan? I have never heard of sticking cake pan with cake still hot right into freezer. I am going to try this one. Sounds great. Funny, I hate bananas but love them when they are baked into bread. Have never tried them in cake yet. This recipe looks like a keeper. Thanks for posting!!!

remnant3333 I'm making this recipe again this week. By the amount of batter that I got I'm calculating that two - 9" x 2" pans would fit perfectly.    I filled them 2/3 full.    I'll get back with you.

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 9:38pm
post #33 of 89

ABoth of my children's spouses birthdays are Friday ( weird huh?) I think this is the celebration cake I am going to make them.

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 9:43pm
post #34 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Virago I'm glad to hear that you also had success with cooling this cake normally.   Your cake is really cool!!  Love those decorations.  What a flavor combination Yummy   Peanut Butter, Chocolate and banana  sounds like a super sundae delight.

And that's exactly what the inside of my cake looked like also.!!

Thanks for the cake kudos MBalaska! Yes, the pb, choc, banana combo was OH SO GOOD! so rich, so decadent!

msbelle21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbelle21 Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 4:00am
post #35 of 89

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

I will never know if the freezer thing works- as I'll never try; but it's being baked at such a low temp - even at the 300 f. that I used.

I'm going to the store today and buy more buttermilk and bananas. so I can make another one in a few days (when the bananas are ready) and this time I'm going to try the Swiss Meringue Buttercream with [I]Cream Cheese[/I] added to it.

Well my hypothesis is that the rapid cooling is to lock in moisture, but you and others are saying the cake is moist as is anyway lol, so I'll probably skip that last step next time I bake it too. I've always baked it at 275F. Takes a while but it bakes thoroughly.

I haven't made this recipe in a while. Next time I'm out, I'll buy bananas as well lol. It goes well with cream cheese frosting but your chocolate/peanut butter combo sounds insanely good!

vldutoit Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 5:03pm
post #36 of 89

AThis cake will come out of my freezer tonight and we will cut it for my daughter in law's birthday celebration tomorrow. Can't wait to try it, it smelled wonderful!

MBalaska Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 7:08pm
post #37 of 89

vldutoit looking forward to hearing about your results.  It seems so strange to put the lemon juice in there, perhaps it intensifies the banana flavor somehow.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 8:53pm
post #38 of 89

virago; last time I made it, I switched out the cream cheese frosting for a peanut butter/chocolate buttercream combo to fill and frost. DELICIOUS

MMMM, that icing sounds wonderful, will you post the recipe please?

I don't know how this cake turns out with or without freezing but, I always freeze my cakes overnight. I love how it makes the texture and of course the.....ness of them.  ;-D 

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 9:23pm
post #39 of 89

Cevamel, for my nutella frosting I use my regular frosting recipe and add in a big scoop of nutella.  Even though I always measure everything, in this case I just do a scoop to taste.  The nutella makes it dryer so I add some more liquid to get it to the right consistency. 

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 11:32pm
post #40 of 89

Now I want to make this too.  Has anyone ever covered it in fondant?  Does it hold up well?  I'm thinking of using it for a baby shower cake that I'm making for my daughter's best friend.  I'm thinking chocolate truffle filling & caramel SMBC.  

vldutoit Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 3:09am
post #41 of 89

AThe chocolate peanut butter combo reminds me of the Fat Elvis, yum. I intend to ice mine with SMBC flavored with LorAnn cream cheese emulsion. I will report back on its deliciousness.

MBalaska Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 3:20am
post #42 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goreti 

Now I want to make this too.  Has anyone ever covered it in fondant?  Does it hold up well?  I'm thinking of using it for a baby shower cake that I'm making for my daughter's best friend.  I'm thinking chocolate truffle filling & caramel SMBC.  

No Goreti, but the cake was easily handled, was not at all crumbly, and cut like a dream with the Agbay leveler.........and I'm crazy for your plans for frosting & filling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vldutoit 

The chocolate peanut butter combo reminds me of the Fat Elvis, yum. I intend to ice mine with SMBC flavored with LorAnn cream cheese emulsion. I will report back on its deliciousness.

vldutoit, that sounds scrumptious.  I'm a big fan of Fat Elvis also  he he 

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 12:00pm
post #43 of 89

Quote:

No Goreti, but the cake was easily handled, was not at all crumbly, and cut like a dream with the Agbay leveler.........and I'm crazy for your plans for frosting & filling.

vldutoit, that sounds scrumptious.  I'm a big fan of Fat Elvis also  he he 

Thank you MBalaska.  I think I am going to make this. So glad I saw this thread.  Always looking for new recipes to try.  

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 1:51pm
post #44 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by denetteb 

Cevamel, for my nutella frosting I use my regular frosting recipe and add in a big scoop of nutella.  Even though I always measure everything, in this case I just do a scoop to taste.  The nutella makes it dryer so I add some more liquid to get it to the right consistency. 

Thank you!

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 3:09pm
post #45 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakegrandma 

virago; last time I made it, I switched out the cream cheese frosting for a peanut butter/chocolate buttercream combo to fill and frost. DELICIOUS

MMMM, that icing sounds wonderful, will you post the recipe please?

I don't know how this cake turns out with or without freezing but, I always freeze my cakes overnight. I love how it makes the texture and of course the.....ness of them.  ;-D 

PB/Choc ABC recipe:

3/4 C creamy peanutbutter

1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp

1/2 C veg shortening

2 TS vanilla extract

6 C (1.5 lbs) confectioners sugar, sifted

1 heaping TBS meringue powder

3-5 TBS whole milk (guestimate, for thinning)

1-3 TBS cocoa powder (taste preference)

- using a stand mixer, with paddle attachment, cream pb, butter, shortening until smooth

- add vanilla extract

- gradually add powdered sugar a cup at a time, scrape bowl often

- add 1 TBS milk and meringue powder with the fourth cup of sugar

- once all the sugar has been incorporated, add additional milk until desired consistency is reached

- reserve 1 C buttercream in the mixer, transfer the rest to a bowl and cover

- add cocoa powder to the reserved buttercream and mix until incorporated

- thin with milk until desired consistency is reached

* fill cake by piping a spiral pattern of peanutbutter, then smaller spiral of chocolate in between the PB lines

** to frost, begin by applying peanutbutter, then grab small amounts of the chocolate and dab on in places, then smooth 

cakegrandma Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 9:12pm
post #46 of 89

Thank you so much for the icing recipe virago.  It sound so dang goo and I can hardly wait to try it!

vldutoit Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 10:49pm
post #47 of 89

We had this cake this evening.  Tasted great, my daughter in law loves SMBC and this was perfect for her.  She hugged me when she left and thanked me again for the cake.  She has been in my family for three years and this is the very first time she has ever hugged me, so I guess that is a darn good cake.

MBalaska Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 6:16pm
post #48 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by vldutoit 

We had this cake this evening.  Tasted great, my daughter in law loves SMBC and this was perfect for her.  She hugged me when she left and thanked me again for the cake.  She has been in my family for three years and this is the very first time she has ever hugged me, so I guess that is a darn good cake.

Wonderful News vldutoit, simply wonderful.   Literally "The Joy of Baking"........

MBalaska Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 9:33pm
post #49 of 89

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

"For MBalaska, recipe says 9 x 13 pan but I notice iclepickle used a round pan in her pictures. Is that a 10 inch round pan?"

"remnant3333 I'm making this recipe again this week. By the amount of batter that I got I'm calculating that two - 9" x 2" pans would fit perfectly. I'll get back with you."

remnant3333, Yes!! the two 9"x2" rounds held the whole recipe just perfectly.   They're in the oven now.

MBalaska Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 10:49pm
post #50 of 89

@ 300 f. they took 1 hour and 25 minutes to cook, parchment collars & 1 rose nail. 

Sock Monkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sock Monkey Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 11:41pm
post #51 of 89

I'm new and don't want to crash the thread, but as someone who loves everything banana flavoured, this has recipe has been bookmarked and I think I'll have to stop myself from making it very soon. We've only just had banana doughnuts and still got banana split cheesecake in the freezer...

I love the idea of a peanut butter frosting too. I'm wondering whether a bacon crumble topping would work to make it a full-on Elvis inspired cake.

vldutoit Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 2:01am
post #52 of 89

AWelcome Sock Monkey! That is the spirit with the bacon. Sounds delish, why not try it and report back???

MBalaska Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 3:26am
post #53 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sock Monkey 

I'm new and don't want to crash the thread, but as someone who loves everything banana flavoured, this has recipe has been bookmarked and I think I'll have to stop myself from making it very soon. We've only just had banana doughnuts and still got banana split cheesecake in the freezer...

I love the idea of a peanut butter frosting too. I'm wondering whether a bacon crumble topping would work to make it a full-on Elvis inspired cake.

Now that does sound interesting Sock Monkey....lol.  Full-on Elvis.

I tried making cream cheese SMBC and it was a mess.  I'll just make regular cream cheese-butter-powdered sugar icing and use that for the filling.    Then make vanilla SMBC and do the outside.  Why make things hard for myself.

Sock Monkey Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 7:14am
post #54 of 89

A

Original message sent by vldutoit

Welcome Sock Monkey! That is the spirit with the bacon. Sounds delish, why not try it and report back???

I can't stop thinking about it now, so might just have to!

msbelle21 Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 7:21am
post #55 of 89

Ugh. Must everything be baconified? Lol.

Sock Monkey Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 9:16am
post #56 of 89

A

Original message sent by msbelle21

Ugh. Must everything be baconified? Lol.

Uh-huh-huh (sorry).

No, I guess not, unless you're into Elvis as much as me and have some bacon in the freezer that needs using up. And a husband who loves bacon!

cakegrandma Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 2:56pm
post #57 of 89

quote from sockmonkey " I'm wondering whether a bacon crumble topping would work to make it a full-on Elvis inspired cake." Yes, sockmonkey you will have to do this and let us know! A donut shop here in Ft Myers is owned by a former DJ and he appeared on cupcake wars, lost at the last challenge but I digress. He makes the best maple iced donuts with bacon on them. Lordy, all this talk of banana cake, peanut butter and bacon makes my drool so bad I can hardly see my keyboards. 8O

msbelle21 Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 1:34am
post #58 of 89

A

Original message sent by Sock Monkey

Uh-huh-huh (sorry).

No, I guess not, unless you're into Elvis as much as me and have some bacon in the freezer that needs using up. And a husband who loves bacon!

Ahh! You just reminded me that I have leftover bacon as well!

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 1:10pm
post #59 of 89

Quote:

Yes, soldiernurse, she said that was the one she had been looking for.  I made it this week and used it to delve into my first ever stacked cake.  Whew - glad that's over and done.  I baked that recipe ^^ at 300 f. and cooled it on the counter as usual.  It is going to be my full time banana cake recipe from now on.

It was the best tasting banana cake I've ever made.  It had a good texture, it held up to my handling and cut like a dream, and had an almost 'creamy' mouth feel, while still being cake.  I know that sounds kookoo, but I don't know how else to describe it.

If you get a chance.......give it a go.  It's so great that she asked about the recipe, as it opened a wonderful new door to me.  I learn so much from the forums.

Ok, I will...always in search of a good banana cake..thought I already had one...from this site..but I'll try this too! :-)

msbelle21 Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 1:07pm
post #60 of 89

AEveryone should report back after they try this recipe. After this recipe, you won't look for another banana cake recipe. It truly is a life-changing cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%