Fondant Pizza For Tmnt Cake

Decorating By valariebrooke Updated 8 Sep 2014 , 1:14am by valariebrooke

valariebrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valariebrooke Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 2:47am
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone.  I had a quick question regarding making a fondant pizza.  I am doing this cake for an order in a couple of weeks & as you can see on the bottom the base looks like a pizza. I know how to do the cheese & pepperonis but since the pizza is just on the cake board & not on top of the cake itself im not sure how to go about this without the issue of it tearing or moving.  Should i put a large fondant disk as the base then build the crust & toppings on that or what? Open to suggestions & tips to make this easy & sturdy. Also even though i am sure i could figure it out any suggestions on the propping the lid up without crushing my turtles heads? I normally would use wooden skewers but i dont want them to show

Thanks in advance :)

7 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 2:50am
post #2 of 8

ABuild the pizza directly on the cake board/drum you are using as a base. I would also use a skewer to prop the lid open, you should be able to do it without it being visible.

valariebrooke Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 8

AThank you, but for the bottom of the pizza would you just roll out a red fondant circle? & how would u keep the fondant on the cake board from sliding? Frosting under it or would that be lumpy?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 8

AYou can either cover the whole cake drum or wrap a strip of red fondant around the cake. If doing the board entirely, moisten the drum with water (use a brush or a spray). Roll out fondant, cover drum, smooth with a smoother, cut away excess from the edge with a sharp knife.

If doing a strip, first glue your cake to the drum with buttercream, ganache, or royal icing. Make a long sausage of fondant then roll out to a long strip about 3 times the diameter of your cake drum. Cut one clean long edge with a pizza cutter. Roll it up like a bandage. Unroll it round your cake with the nice cut edge butting up to your cake. Overlap at the back, cut through both ends, remove excess. Smooth with a smoother and trim the edges with a sharp knife.

The second way sounds complicated but it is less waste of fondant, and you can get your cake centred properly before decorating. If you decide to cover the entire drum, do it a couple of days ahead so the fondant has time to dry in case you mess up putting your cake on!!

valariebrooke Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 3:51am
post #5 of 8

Thank you Dayti! I just was unsure about putting any water on cardboard cake drum even in the smallest amount.  I had never done anything that elaborate on the board itself.  This helps alot.  Thanks again

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 6:30am
post #6 of 8

Just make sure you use a proper cake drum (masonite or equivalent) to hold the weight of the cake and all the fondant on the board. A simple cake card board won't hold up under all this weight.

But you can apply water straight on the top of the drum to attach the fondant as Dayti says.

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 12:53am
post #7 of 8

AHi Valarie, I recently made a TMNT cake with a pizza base. I just rolled out fondant (I used white) on the cake board, about 2" larger than the board. I folded the edges iinward to make the crust edge all the way around. I used different paints to make the "baked" color. I used fondant for the toppings. Pepparoni were just disks (cut from like a hot dog shape) and pressed & stretched them thin. Cut black mshrooms using a tip, and used the smaller circleto cut the center hole. I went about the cheese the wrong way by actually using a cheese shreader. I am sure there was an easier way, but it looked great anyhow. I know this post is a bit old, but hope it helps!

:USA:

valariebrooke Posted 8 Sep 2014 , 1:14am
post #8 of 8

I just wanted to drop back by my thread & say thanks for all the tips & help.  The cake turned out great & I thought i would share a picture. Fondant did NOT work out for the cheese so i used shaved white chocolate & it was perfect. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%