Cupcake Disaster

Baking By smile22 Updated 17 Aug 2014 , 7:12pm by -K8memphis

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 9

so a while back i posted looking for a great cupcake recipe for chocolate cupcakes that were moist

so another poster gave me this link

http://lickthebowlgood.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-classic-recipe-with-twist.html

and she doubled it so i could make 24 this is the third time i have made this recipe the first two times the cupcakes came out moist and amazing this time the  cake was dry and stuck to the liners :( i usual get my liners at the grocery store i use Reynolds or sometimes michaels or acmorre but this time i used these liners i got at bed bath and beyond it was a set of liners by wilton 

i followed the recipe just like i was supposed to and i baked it for just as long as i baked the  last two batches i made a while back  the only difference is my moms kitchen has a lot more counter space so she let me use her equipment and oven she has a flat range electric stove where as where i am my apartment has the old style electric stove with the removable burners

any idea what i could have done wrong?

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (2 cups)
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar (1.5 cups and 2.5 Tablespoons)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (5 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda ( a rounded teaspoon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (a rounded half teaspoon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (a rounded 1/2 teaspoon)
  • 1/3 cup canola oil (1/2 cup of oil)
  • 1 cup water ( 1 and 1/3 cup of water)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (1.5 teaspoon give or take i always add more)
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten (3 eggs)

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 9

Ai doubled the recipe for you -- it might be your mom's oven -- I'd try using an oven thermometer in there -- aren't killer when they come out right?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

... it might be your mom's oven... 

That's what I was thinking, too. Or overbaked. A few minutes can make a big difference. OR - think back - is there a chance you forgot to add the oil? No oil would cause paper liners to stick.

smile22 Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 9

AThey come out killer so today I made 2 batches I had one in the oven then I was like crap no oil so I took it out threw them away second batch I was filling my liners and I remember crap no sugar so I dumped that and made two more batches with the right ingridence so I am not sure whAt happened

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 12:08am
post #5 of 9

Aso the last two batches came out ok?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 1:11am
post #6 of 9

Smile, don't forget the most important ingredient. A pound of concentration, straight up.

smile22 Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 9

AThe last two I followed to a t and I didn't forget anything and they didn't come out after I looked at the can of baking powder my mom had at her house it said agust 2014 soluble it went bad I made another two batches this am without doubling it 16 min in oven and they came out perfict I also yesterday might has used the teaspoon for the soda and the powder and one calle for a tea the other a half tea

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 9

Ok here's a tip for you to remember your ingredients.

Use a sticky and mark one ingredient at a time in your recipe, It only takes a second to move the sticky from one ingredient to the next.  It also helps to ensure that you get the correct amount of each ingredient in the batter as it brings it perfectly to your eye.

ps: alls well that ends up on the table looking nice and being eaten happily.  What goes on in the kitchen (that you think is a disaster) can stay in the kitchen.:D

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 9

Afwiw -- I just replace my baking powder every 6 months -- i write the date on it when I open it and chuck it 6-7 months later --the way to check it though if you're ever wondering --if it's got the slightest resistance when you dig in to it -- if it is not super smooth and light as air-- then it's shot --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%