Power Outage

Decorating By sykescakes Updated 15 Aug 2014 , 5:40pm by MBalaska

sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 3

So I have been baking for only about three years now and I bring my cupcakes to work and share them with all my co-workers and family members. I have made a few wedding cakes for family members but never actually sold any of my cakes. So this week a co-worker asked me if she could buy some cupcakes off of me for a woman we work with for a little at work baby shower as she is going on maternity leave very soon. At first I told her I would just make them and bring them in but she insisted on paying me. So I was a little nervous having an actual paying customer for the first time. So I'm making the cupcakes last night and just after I finish cooking the sugar and egg whites for my SWBC the power goes out. Thank goodness I had already pulled the cupcakes out of the oven and they were safely cooling on the counter. BUT I have only made SMBC a handful of times and had no idea if I could pull it off without the use of my sacred stand mixer. So I whisked and whisked until I thought my arms were going to fall off and then I whisked some more and wouldn't you know it the egg whites frothed up and then the butter incorporated and boom I had silky delish SMBC. I then frosted by light of candle flame. Everything came out great so it wasn't a cake disaster but I thought I would share. I might invest in one of those hand crank mixers to have just in case.   

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 3

Awhat a fabulous save! btdt-- I'd get my husband's mountain bike helmet light to try & finish -- I once did a large tier cake without a mixer baking and all -- gets down & dirty in the trenches, baby -- hahaha :)

you did great! you had to be so thrilled when your efforts paid off -- congratulations! not for the timid huh -- "caker of the week award!"

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 3

gas powered generator.  And yes I vote for "Caker of the Week" award also.  Your caking life changes when you take that customer and go from hobby baking to jobby baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%