Was It Easy Or Difficult Getting Your Cottage Food License?

Business By ladyrose Updated 15 Aug 2014 , 12:29am by ladyrose

ladyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyrose Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 2

I am in NV and started the process by getting a tax ID #, DBA name and then called the health dept for my licensing appointment.  I have not made the appt yet because they said I need to bring copies of ingredient labels for anything I may want to sell now and in the future. He said I can submit 100 now included in the first visit for $100, but it will be $65 to add anything later or to make a change, even for 1 recipe. 


Now I have to come up with as many recipes as possible to cover anything I may want to sell in the future. I will be selling mainly pound cakes, cookies and brownies at farmers markets for now. I don't know what flavors will be popular so I was going to just make changes as I went along. Now I will need labels for all different varieties that I may never even sell. This is going to delay me in getting started. But at least the law was passed so I am not complaining too much.

1 reply
ladyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyrose Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 12:29am
post #2 of 2

Another thing I am not happy about is having to put my home address on my labels. Any other business I ran before I always used a PO box address. I don't think there is a need for such personal info as long as there is other contact info on it. I will have my email and FB page listed. There are sooo many nutcases out there, at least around here, and I don't want everyone that picks up my products at a fair to know where I live but I don't have a choice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%