Wedding Cake Issues And Disagreement.

Decorating By NikkiHino Updated 22 Aug 2014 , 11:13pm by DeniseNH

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 4:01pm
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakewitch 

And it's not the customer's fault that you're selling your cakes less than a $1 per serving.

Yes, that is true. But the expectations of a Porsche buyer need to be different than the expectations of a Hyundai buyer. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerlocks 

you don't go to McDonald's and order off the value menu and then come back saying "well this was no Micheline star quality meal" 

EXACTLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Honestly, the time constraint surprises and price have no impact whatsoever on the situation. You agreed to it, you set the price, and you didn't deliver what you should have.

What this is, is the customer changing the contract and the baker interpreting that the buyer will accept a lower standard of cake by reducing the time frame allowed. If the baker had just said, "I agreed to 5PM on Saturday, and if you want to get it earlier, it will affect the quality and presentation of the product."  , and THEN the customer AGREED, we are all good! Just mis-communication, and as we all know, no customer really understands what goes into a cake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiHino 

To the four people in this post who messaged me and told me that I should get off this site and am the problem with home based bakers these days, thank you for telling me. 

What a bunch of jerks and bullies! They should be reported. 

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 5:31pm
post #32 of 51

AWait???!! 4 people messaged you and said what?! Okay... I didn't know we had bad cake police.. Cheer up OP, practice practice practice. Have fun and enjoy while at it ;)

Really...SMH :(

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 6:11pm
post #33 of 51

APrivate messages are just rude, I'd name them and let them know they don't get to hide in the shadows like that. That is pretty rude. That said, the rest of what I have to say is a general observation partly,partly directed towards to you.

Most of the greats did exactly that, used their spare time, practiced like crazy, honed their skills and spent their own money, not customers money. THEN started selling.

I have no patience for "we all started somewhere" drivel, and certainly none for snotty statements like being superior because we started off on the right foot. What a SHAME that this is the new norm. Guessing as you go, subjecting customers to inferior products regardless of the price, and falling back on the all too acceptable..we all started somewhere blanket.

I can't think of a single successful baker who would have allowed any of this to happen, and it's not knowledge you pick up as you go, it's things you learn about while you're practicing, paying attention to other professionals, and just using common sense. No ma'am, the cake will be ready at the agreed upon time, thank you for understanding that I have a schedule to keep for other clients as well. See you (tomorrow, whenever)!

I'll say it again, customers do not deserve to be played "trial and error" with.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 6:20pm
post #34 of 51

/\/\/\/\/\/\  This.  Well said, AZ.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 6:23pm
post #35 of 51

AAs sad as it is, I have NO problem believing people could be that nasty and tell you that. I've recently had a taste of that. It's so ridiculous how mean people can be. Try to ignore them, because there really is some good advice in this thread :). 4 those 4 nasties there are 10 people here who want to help

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 6:33pm
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

There shouldn't be any unskilled decorators selling, period. Get good, then sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Whoa, back the wedding cake up. The argument for siding with the OP is that substandard cakes are okay to sell. Are we here to encourage unqualified people to start a business selling cheap inferior products? 

Unfortunately, this philosophy downgrades the entire home-based baking industry. It's far better that we hold high standards (in both business and product quality) that shows the public we are an industry to be trusted. 

What she said. 

Really, you got four similar private messages? As far as the PM's are concerned, flag them for offensive behavior.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 7:04pm
post #37 of 51

Just want to say I was NOT one of those nasties even though I agree the cake should not have been sold. especially after the OP explains it wasn't even a friend. I can't even find four people on this thread who I think would do that? Anyway...it may be the same person with multiple screen names OP, so just ignore those and take the advice here on CC to improve your hobby and maybe a successful business if that's the path you take. 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 9:11pm
post #38 of 51

I know I'm late to the discussion, however . . .

You're either a hobby baker or you're not.  You're either in the business of selling cakes or you're not.  There is no "both".  If you're a hobby baker then you don't sell.  If you're in the business of selling cakes, then they'd better be up to snuff.

That being said, the customer rushed you and insisted on coming early.  She said the cake was fine when she picked it up, which covers you.  You have no way of knowing what happened to the cake after it left your hands and I suspect you probably never will.  No refund.  At all.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 11:10pm
post #39 of 51

AWow, 4 from this thread? I'm all for following the rules, which would be the OP flagging the rude PM's. No one deserves to be told to get off this forum, unless by the Admin. But in this case, I'd do it publicly. OP, I want to pay $5 for a Thermapen instant read, but I've got no store around who will let me bully them into giving it to me for that. Because I deserve it, and I really really really want one, and my friend has one. They will offer me a Taylor thermometer though. Your friends freind got what she paid for. And I'm sorry I assumed it was a wedding cake. But in re-reading your first post, I'd still think it was. Not that it matters really...........

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 12:35am
post #40 of 51

APerfectly reasonable to assume it was a wedding cake, considering the title of the thread, and all. ;)

MimiFix Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 1:00am
post #41 of 51
Quote:

Perfectly reasonable to assume it was a wedding cake, considering the title of the thread, and all. icon_wink.gif

As the noose tightens (or in this case, as the cake falls apart) stories tend to change. We see it all the time.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 1:03am
post #42 of 51

Quote:

Perfectly reasonable to assume it was a wedding cake, considering the title of the thread, and all. icon_wink.gif

LOL. Honestly, I think the 4 private messages is a fib as well. Maybe I'll be proven otherwise...

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 1:13am
post #43 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by FioreCakes 

LOL. Honestly, I think the 4 private messages is a fib as well. Maybe I'll be proven otherwise...

Me too.  I'm not totally convinced on that..especially as it turns out the title of thread was not even correct according to the OP.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 1:39am
post #44 of 51

AI think op means the event was not a wedding with a reception that it was a party-- the cake was a tier cake aka a 'wedding' cake--

because earlier in the thread it was mentioned to check with the wedding photographer and it was mentioned who orders a cake the week of the wedding --

so maybe that's what she meant

simplyme4469 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplyme4469 Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 6:21am
post #45 of 51

ASome people never learned how to give constructive and helpful advise without being nasty.

Yes there were mistakes made. ... live.... learn. Evaluate the situation.... see where you went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again. Ignore the rest... it's a reflection of them... not you.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 5:20pm
post #46 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgifford 

I know I'm late to the discussion, however . . .

You're either a hobby baker or you're not.  You're either in the business of selling cakes or you're not.  There is no "both".  If you're a hobby baker then you don't sell.  If you're in the business of selling cakes, then they'd better be up to snuff.

That being said, the customer rushed you and insisted on coming early.  She said the cake was fine when she picked it up, which covers you.  You have no way of knowing what happened to the cake after it left your hands and I suspect you probably never will.  No refund.  At all.

As a hobby baker, the only money I've ever accepted was to cover costs. There have been times where I was given gift cards to WalMart or Michael's, but no profit, as I have no overhead and never presented myself as a pro. However, that does not mean that I do not strive for the highest quality. Just because I am not a pro, does not mean that I should not have high standards. Regardless of the recipient or the occassion / reason, I always try to present professional quality work. While I was married my husband gave me a gift of business cards. They were nothing fancy, just a picture of a cake with my name and cell phone number, like an old fashioned "calling card." It was a sweet gesture, but I had to give them back. He could not understand why I did not want them. I did not want to misrepresent myself or give anyone the wrong impression.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 6:13pm
post #47 of 51
Quote:

There shouldn't be any unskilled decorators selling, period. Get good, then sell.

Yup.  And also, experienced and good decorators would never have agreed to the delivery date change on such short notice. Business 101, write it in your contract!

Even if you are a hobby baker, maybe you should have a contract.

As for the content of the PM's, that's a slice of the world we live in.  Some people are just angry and not nice.  If you don't know them personally, assume they are trolls.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 6:43pm
post #48 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmom 

"Even if you are a hobby baker, maybe you should have a contract."

As a hobby baker, and enough life experience to know that people don't always remember things correctly, the written word rules.

While talking to folks, as they sit at the table. I take notes so that they can see with their own eyes what is right there in black and yellow on a yellow legal writing tablet.   If I had a business I'd go very far with formal documentation and recording everything.  The 'School of Hard Knocks' will teach you that.   In every aspect of life - take notes if it's important to you.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 8:24pm
post #49 of 51

Quote:

As the noose tightens (or in this case, as the cake falls apart) stories tend to change. We see it all the time.

I have noticed this too...I thought maybe I wasnt remembering things correctly. It happens almost every single time I read a similar thread to this one

MimiFix Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 8:54pm
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Quote:

I have noticed this too...I thought maybe I wasnt remembering things correctly. It happens almost every single time I read a similar thread to this one

Yup.

What's nice for us is the ability to read through those threads. Although I don't like wasting my time on chronic liars, those who refuse to take responsibility, and rationalizers.   

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 11:13pm
post #51 of 51

I would have had her sign a paper that she agrees to take the cake in an as is condition.  I agree that it was really rough and it wouldn't have left my house in that condition.  I would have told her that she would just have to wait or accept an inferior cake...............then make her sign.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%