1St Birthday Moms Vs Brides.

Business By ellavanilla Updated 14 Aug 2014 , 10:57pm by FioreCakes

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 8

I have worked with both and I gotta agree with someone here who said, "give me a bridezilla over a first birthday any day!"

Why do the moms wait until the last minute and then want a special custom job? I have gotten so many calls from panicked moms who proceed to overload me with details and pinterest pages. It's a little nerve wracking, honestly. 

conversely, my brides are calm and collected. They call me months in advance and (knock wood) are super easy to work with. 

just a little rant for your wednesday pleasure.

jen

7 replies
KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 1:25am
post #2 of 8

:grin:   As a Mom to a one year old (made the cake myself, didn't stress it wasn't perfect), I couldn't help but chuckle at your post.  Brides probably are getting plenty of sleep and are pretty much focused on themselves most of the time -- Moms of one year olds, not so much. Doesn't excuse the crazy behavior, but perhaps explains it a little.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 2:12am
post #3 of 8

Oh that would be me….lol. :D True dat!

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 8

A

Original message sent by KLCCrafts

:D    As a Mom to a one year old (made the cake myself, didn't stress it wasn't perfect), I couldn't help but chuckle at your post.  Brides probably are getting plenty of sleep and are pretty much focused on themselves most of the time -- Moms of one year olds, not so much. Doesn't excuse the crazy behavior, but perhaps explains it a little.

Yup! As a mother to a 2 yr old toddler and 6 month old baby, i agree! Forgive us, we are often sleep deprived! Lol.. :)

clare2582 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clare2582 Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 8

Don't you think pinterest has raised everyone's expectations of everything???? LOL! I don't decorate cakes for anything but a hobby, but I know that what people see and what they think they see are two different things!  If its on pinterest, then anyone can do it!  And why can't you do it right now!  I saw a baby smashing a cake that looked like X and by baby has to have that or the whole thing will be ruined!!!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 8

I just cant... I just got an email from the customer who called yesterday, No fewer than three pinterest photos with elements from each combined. 

Yes, sleep deprivation can make you crazy, but this level of obsession over a cake shaped like a number one is a bit much. She's reminding me of the way "Sally" in "When Harry Met Sally" ordered dinner. "I want the fondant base to be pink, but not baby pink or carnation pink, but hot pink. But not fuscia..."

I'm turning this client down. She wants a fondant covered cake, which I already told her I don't do. "but if it can't be fondant covered than a really smooth buttercream. Now when can I come in for a tasting..."

I'm not doing a tasting for a cake she wants in a week that will cost under $200. A tasting? A tasting in under a week? NOOOOOO. 

I want to build my business, but I want to be sane when I get there.

Am I overreacting?

Jen

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 8

I also prefer brides. They plan a year in advance, whereas 1st birthday mothers forget they gave birth a year ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

She's reminding me of the way "Sally" in "When Harry Met Sally" ordered dinner. "I want the fondant base to be pink, but not baby pink or carnation pink, but hot pink. But not fuscia..."

Am I overreacting?

Jen

No, you are not overreacting. And for the record, I HATE Pinterest. Too many cakes on there that are probably made from cardboard and the naked cakes on there have been made for a week, while someone has the time to faff around taking pretty pictures and then editing them to make them even prettier. I truly believe there are no REAL cakes on Pinterest and therefore, we should not allow customers to bring us photos from it. 

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

I just cant... I just got an email from the customer who called yesterday, No fewer than three pinterest photos with elements from each combined. 

Yes, sleep deprivation can make you crazy, but this level of obsession over a cake shaped like a number one is a bit much. She's reminding me of the way "Sally" in "When Harry Met Sally" ordered dinner. "I want the fondant base to be pink, but not baby pink or carnation pink, but hot pink. But not fuscia..."

I'm turning this client down. She wants a fondant covered cake, which I already told her I don't do. "but if it can't be fondant covered than a really smooth buttercream. Now when can I come in for a tasting..."

I'm not doing a tasting for a cake she wants in a week that will cost under $200. A tasting? A tasting in under a week? NOOOOOO. 

I want to build my business, but I want to be sane when I get there.

Am I overreacting?

Jen

I have friends who contact me for cookies or cake with two weeks notice and even they understand how inappropriate that is because they apologize and say if I can't do it they understand, etc. She def sounds like a pain and you'll be stressed the whole time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%