Ideas For Icing A Cupcake/waffled Cake Sandwich?

Decorating By banananutmuffin Updated 13 Aug 2014 , 12:16am by theresaf

banananutmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, I know it's weird, but bear with me. These are for a charity bake sale.

My thought was to appeal to kids. Make cupcake waffles in my animal shaped waffle iron (which will make a thin, elephant/lion/giraffe shaped waffled cake). Turn them into "sandwich cupcakes" by topping one with frosting and then placing a matching shaped cupcake waffle on to, a la sandwich cookies like oreos, except with cupcake waffles and frosting.

Am I making sense?

Anyway, I am unsure what type of filling/icing to use. Do you think a standard buttercream will hold up? Or should I look for something else? (Like a cookie filling recipe.)

Thanks!

Example of someone's cupcake waffle: http://the-wilson-world.blogspot.com/2011/07/cupcake-waffles.html

4 replies
FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 5

I understand what you are going for and I think it's a nifty idea!  I would go for a relatively thin layer of crusting buttercream.  That way you still get the cupcake "cake and frosting taste" but they can be wrapped if needed and frosting won't get all over the place or squish out when the kids bite. I know regionally sandwich style desserts vary, but biting in to a whoopie pie full of a thick layer of frosting just grosses me out.  

Maybe you could also roll it so the filling had sprinkles or mini chocolate chips on the outside.  Or maybe mix that in the frosting.  Just a thought!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 5

I am in love with all things waffle iron recently so your idea is very interesting.  Having a hard time this afternoon replying to this thread and posted one of my pics so I could attach it for you.  Hope you can actually see it!

Anyway, my tip for you is to keep all waffles on a wire rack to keep the bottom from getting all soggy for as long as possible. 

http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/3275270/cake-waffles-with-scoops-of-cake-balls-and-a-peanut-butter-chocolate-spoon/

Good luck!

Theresa

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 12:03am
post #4 of 5

theresa~~those waffle/cake pop/edible spoon goodies are adorable!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 12:16am
post #5 of 5

AThanks Apti! They were a big hit! T

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%