Does This Make Anyone Else's Eye Twitch...

Decorating By Cakespirations Updated 9 Aug 2014 , 6:14am by morganchampagne

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 37
36 replies
craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 37

Hm, Mario Lopez? I'm there! Just don't tell the hubby, lols. I think I watched Saved by the Bell just for him, lols. I do hope that lady is not serious, because she turned a $40 cake into a $5 cake. :party:

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 37

Ai would have been over the moon still be smiling if my mother let me make a birthday cake like that --

and something i tried to teach my kids is to see the beauty in even the homeliest lopsided cupcake because it probably took the baker a lot more time & energy than they know -- in other words it's not fair to compare to mom.

"comparing ourselves to ourselves is not wise" trying to do better than last time is a more worthy goal --

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 37

It's not as bad as her Kwanzaa "cake"...

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 37

Ha! Did you notice he said they turned a $40 cake into a "priceless" cake not a $500 one. :roll:

Watched her do a Kwanzaa cake, my eye twitches every time I think about it. >.<

enga Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 37

Ha! Did you notice he said they turned a $40 cake into a "priceless" cake not a $500 one. :roll:

Watched her do a Kwanzaa cake, my eye twitches every time I think about it. >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots 

It's not as bad as her Kwanzaa "cake"...

Lol, you and I were on the same page!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 37

for anyone outside the u.s. -- the premise of the tv show is 'semi-home made' so a minimum of the components are 'from scratch' -- majoring on store bought items re-structured to fit the bill

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 37

Ai yi yi.

Cakespirations Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 37

I am still having issues with the word "Plopped"

jus sayin

AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 37

Yeah. I don't plop anything. Or slap anything on. Lol...

Cakespirations Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 37

I just googled this "Kwanzaa cake"......... OH MAH GLORY! I have NO words...... and for me that is huge!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 37

But "plopped" describes the entire complete cake PERFECTLY. 8O:ouch:

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 9:38pm
post #13 of 37

A8O was both entertaining and horrifying at the same time. $500 in what world? $25 yes. The funniest part was when Mario wanted to put the smiley face on and Sandra is all "No, that's a Wal-Mart cake." She really believes she's creating something elegant. I guess she subscribes to "If I don't believe it no else will either".

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 9:39pm
post #14 of 37

from wiki 

Quote:
When Lee was 11... Lee then took on the role of mother for her four younger siblings. Her responsibilities included buying groceries, preparing the meals, and handling the family finances. 

i think sandra lee is a tremendous role model especially in business success and since she was placed in a leadership position at such a young age -- it shows how her point of view developed -- we should all be so successful as she is --

AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 9:47pm
post #15 of 37

A

Original message sent by Pastrybaglady

8O was both entertaining and horrifying at the same time. $500 in what world? $25 yes. The funniest part was when Mario wanted to put the smiley face on and Sandra is all "No, that's a Wal-Mart cake." She really believes she's creating something elegant. I guess she subscribes to "If I don't believe it no else will either".

It is entertaining, gotta admit that! :D

AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 9:52pm
post #16 of 37

AI wish the story, nay, CONFESSION written by Denise Vivaldo was still online. She confesses to her role in the infamous Kwanzaa Cake, and how she basically sold her soul to the devil by having anything to do with Missy Sandra. Just google Denise Vivaldo Sandra Lee...there's enough excerpts of the original story out there to make you literally LOLZ.

AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 9:53pm
post #17 of 37
Cakespirations Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 9:57pm
post #18 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

from wiki 

i think sandra lee is a tremendous role model especially in business success and since she was placed in a leadership position at such a young age -- it shows how her point of view developed -- we should all be so successful as she is --

Yes I agree.

However I can still think this entire episode is a poor poor example of a 500. cake. Additionally referencing that you can do just as good as those expensive bakeries with a few layers plopped on top along with some sugar cookies and a bottle of quick edible confetti. Does also cause me to wince a bit. By no means does this mean I feel her lifelong achievements are being questioned. Just the choices of one few minute segment.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 9:59pm
post #19 of 37

AWho knows? Maybe Ms. Lee is one of the many entrepreneurs who [I]really don't enjoy the items they create, but do it to pay the bills.[/I] Ha!

Cakespirations Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 10:01pm
post #20 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Here's one of the articles: http://jezebel.com/5714274/the-underbelly-of-the-celebrity-chef-industry

They were "Corn Nuts"!?!?!?!?!?!? I am rolling laughing. I couldn't tell what they were!! Now it is worse. Lordy Lordy.. Ok I have to get off here and work . ;)

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 10:04pm
post #21 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

icon_eek.gif was both entertaining and horrifying at the same time. $500 in what world? $25 yes. The funniest part was when Mario wanted to put the smiley face on and Sandra is all "No, that's a Wal-Mart cake." She really believes she's creating something elegant. I guess she subscribes to "If I don't believe it no else will either".

The funniest bit was his reaction to that comment - he, like us, could see no difference between what she was doing and a Walmart cake.

Also at the end where she says, 'And you can take all the credit for it!' Don't know who would want to be taking credit for that, even if they made it.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 11:01pm
post #22 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakespirations 

I am still having issues with the word "Plopped"

jus sayin

"You just plop that cake right on top" 

ZOMG

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 11:02pm
post #23 of 37

Quote:

I wish the story, nay, CONFESSION written by Denise Vivaldo was still online. She confesses to her role in the infamous Kwanzaa Cake, and how she basically sold her soul to the devil by having anything to do with Missy Sandra. Just google Denise Vivaldo Sandra Lee...there's enough excerpts of the original story out there to make you literally LOLZ.

is that the one with the canned apple pie filling?

AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 11:54pm
post #24 of 37

AYep.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 12:32am
post #25 of 37

Quote:

I wish the story, nay, CONFESSION written by Denise Vivaldo was still online. She confesses to her role in the infamous Kwanzaa Cake, and how she basically sold her soul to the devil by having anything to do with Missy Sandra. Just google Denise Vivaldo Sandra Lee...there's enough excerpts of the original story out there to make you literally LOLZ.

Vivaldo's confession is not much of a confession--yea she admits to devising the recipes while spending the bulk of the piece engaging in character assassination in an effort to have readers say--well can you blame her for making the recipes? Actually yes--she chose to craft recipes that reflected little to no cultural and religious sensitivity. At according to her "confession" Lee gave her broad parameters for the recipes, and while Lee willingly used what Vivaldo "created", the "devil" did not make her create those abominations.

Nothing in her confession made me LOLZ---rather I thought it was a sad--sad that a person opts to compromise their integrity and then rationalizes it away with "well I had to pay the bills" and sad that this confession is little more than rank character assassination. I find Lee's approach to food rather distasteful, but Lee is not the devil and she certainly did not make Vivaldo "create" those cakes.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 2:02am
post #26 of 37

A

Original message sent by gatorcake

Vivaldo's confession is not much of a confession--yea she admits to devising the recipes while spending the bulk of the piece engaging in character assassination in an effort to have readers say--well can you blame her for making the recipes? Actually yes--she chose to craft recipes that reflected little to no cultural and religious sensitivity. At according to her "confession" Lee gave her broad parameters for the recipes, and while Lee willingly used what Vivaldo "created", the "devil" did not make her create those abominations.

Nothing in her confession made me LOLZ---rather I thought it was a sad--sad that a person opts to compromise their integrity and then rationalizes it away with "well I had to pay the bills" and sad that this confession is little more than rank character assassination. I find Lee's approach to food rather distasteful, but Lee is not the devil and she certainly did not make Vivaldo "create" those cakes.

enga Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 2:08am
post #27 of 37

I agree, and after reading the comments from the link, it only solidifies how I feel. I have watched Sandra Lee in the past but I never saw any of the episodes where she made cakes. I wasn't privy to the Kwanzaa cake until someone posted it on here. I feel that both of them should have done more research into the different cultures before attempting to build a show around the semi homemade versions.  How hard could it be? I mean yeah she came up with the recipes but it's Sandra's name that was on the line. Does she just show up, read the script, throw every thing together and say voila! Apparently so or at least that's how it came across to me. Corn Nuts and apple pie filling, really? I find Vivaldo's excuses as revolting as Sandra's videos, they both dropped the ball in my book.

These cakes were an insult to the different cultures they supposedly represented on so many levels. They should be ashamed of themselves.

AZCouture Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 4:34am
post #28 of 37

Yeah ok, so you found the whole story online? I searched and searched and couldn't find it, have the link by any chance, so the rest of us heathens can LOLZ? :roll: 

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 4:48am
post #29 of 37

AGirl......come on Ms.Sandra. It's time to find something else to do on TV.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%