Royal Icing Question

Decorating By iluvdonuts Updated 7 Aug 2014 , 9:49pm by iluvdonuts

iluvdonuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvdonuts Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 5

I can't seem to get a response to this question and I've read some contradicting information. I normally refrigerate my fondant covered cakes without a problem. I have a cake that will be covered in fondant with royal icing piping and around 100 royal icing rosebuds. I would prefer to store the cake in the fridge for stability purposes as i have to travel an hour to deliver it. Will the royal icing melt once brought to room temp? Why does royal icing melt for some and not for others? Does the royal icing recipe make any difference? (egg whites vs meringue powder) TIA

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 5

best answer is to test it in your fridge with your ingredients -- as you can see opinions are conflicting-- and it would be the moisture content of all things concerned as to the possibility of it melting or not -- i actually had a heater installed into my fridge once to stop the condensation inside -- sounds really counter productive to put a heater in your fridge but it controlled the dripping -- so just depends on each individual's results --

best to you

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 5

I did a fondant covered cake with royal icing decorations for my niece. I stored it in the fridge and it did just fine coming back to room temp for me. Nothing slid off, nothing melted. I always use meringue powder in my royal. Hope everything works out!

pinchofsweetener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinchofsweetener Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 5

I also use a meringue powder recipe and it does just fine in my fridge. And once it's out and coming back to room temp, it's fine.  Like k8memphis said, test it out and see what works for you. I'm sure it all does depend on the ingredients and type of fridge. 

iluvdonuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvdonuts Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 5

Ill test it out then. Just wanted make sure there wasn't some trick or recipe that i was missing! :) 

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%