Fondant Changes Shape After Smoothing??

Decorating By neda_la Updated 11 Aug 2014 , 4:56pm by cai0311

neda_la Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neda_la Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 10:40am
post #1 of 7

Ok so I have had this problem few times that I smooth the buttercream very nicely on a cake, put it in the fridge for the night and in the morning I cover it with fondant. In the beginning the cake looks great straight edges... but the more I work with it in the middle or I guess the places that the layers of cake are placed the fondant moved inside. So when you look at the cake from the side you don't see a straight profile, you see a curved profile.(Like a C on the right side)

And obvious;y the more I work the worse it gets...

Any ideas? I hope I explained well??;-)

6 replies
prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 7

Well, this is what I usually do not sure if this will help your situation but here it is any way. I usually bake the cake let it settle overnight, next day I fill the tiers (don't overfill) wrap them up in saran wrap and place them in the fridge with a book on top of each(about 1 LB) then the next day I ganache or butter cream with no problems with shifting. If my cakes are over 4 inches in height I usually just place two dowels near the center to further keep from shifting. 

Hope this helps!

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 7

AYou might also be using a thin consistensy buttercream/frosting. And your fondant might be rolled too thick..

pinchofsweetener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinchofsweetener Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 7

Both of the previous replies have some helpful info. It sounds like what you're describing is known as "cake bulge".  As stated, filling, buttercream/fondant consistency, doweling issues...etc can all play a part.  Without knowing more about your techniques and construction, it's hard to say exactly what's going on with yours, but maybe do a search here on CC for cake bulging and see if any of that information helps :)

neda_la Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neda_la Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much for the replies!! I will definitely look into cake bulging!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 7

Ahttp://cakecentral.com/t/633571/my-newest-trick

Heres a good thread about helping get rid of cake bulge...hth..

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 7

AI have stopped using buttercream on my fondant covered cakes for that reason. I now use white chocolate ganache. The ganache holds up to the weight of fondant really well. Also, your fondant should be rolled really, really thin. I like mine to be about 1/16" of an inch. Once rolled that thin you can almost see though it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%