Kitchenaid Equipment Question

Decorating By Pastrybaglady Updated 7 Aug 2014 , 7:55pm by Claire138

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone here know if the old 6 qt. Kitchenaid mixing bowls fit on the new 6 qt. Kitchenaids?  It sounds like my motor is weakening.  Anyone ever just replace the motor or is it better to buy a new one?  Mine is 13 years old.

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 12

i do not know that-- but i sent in my vintage ka to the ka store in greenville oh -- it's 'green' something ohio -- their webpage must be being updated right now can't get on and confirm) 

but anyway i sent in my 40+ year old ka and i gotta refurbished one -- so all that to say try that route and see where it gets you -- they told me that ka's life expectancy was something like 20 years -- who knew? i thought they could just refurbish my old one but it was better to trade it in --

so that might be an option for you and they could tell you about the bowl too

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 12

The 6-quart mixers have a couple of gears that are prone to get mangled up.  A baker friend of mine has has 3 go out on her this week!  This YT video shows you step by step how to replace these gears.

We have made this exact repair on one so far, and it went from barely working to good-as-new!  Price in parts was about $25 dollars if I remember correctly.  Not really knowing what we were doing it still took us less than an hour to repair.

And for what's it's worth, I have heard that the older KAs are the ones to keep - they are supposedly built better than the newer models.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

And for what's it's worth, I have heard that the older KAs are the ones to keep - they are supposedly built better than the newer models.

yeah me too -- i always thought i had a keeper but when it came time to fix the gears it got real complicated and my husband is a service tech too -- it sat out of commission for a long time then when i called ka they advised me that it was past 'end of life' so...i could have pressed on and tried to get it fixed but i went for the sure thing of the trade in going to help offset the cost of the refurbished one that for sure has another 15/20 years on it --

if it was 40 years old and just been used for a regular family not all the cakes i've committed with it -- it probably would never have broken in the first place but...sniff

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 12

Quote:

That applies to anything in my experience!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 12

yes built better -- figure it lasted over 40 years with all the cakes and baking --but servicing is much harder unfortunately --

i really miss it too -- went to the big white bakery in the sky

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 12

Yep!  My mother-in-law's vacuum cleaner is an old Electrolux model that was actually bought new by her mother.  It has to be well over 50 years old and it still runs like new!  I've been through 3 vacuum cleaners in the last 20 years!

Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 12

A

Original message sent by cupadeecakes

The 6-quart mixers have a couple of gears that are prone to get mangled up.  A baker friend of mine has has 3 go out on her this week!  This YT video shows you step by step how to replace these gears.

[COLOR=000000][URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsbgUHAGWX4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsbgUHAGWX4[/URL][/COLOR]

We have made this exact repair on one so far, and it went from barely working to good-as-new!  Price in parts was about $25 dollars if I remember correctly.  Not really knowing what we were doing it still took us less than an hour to repair.

Thanks for the great info! That certainly sounds like it's worth a try! Is 13 years considered older or newer? I got this one for a steal from Mervyns. It wouldn't scan - should have been over $300, but there was the tiniest little sticker on it that said $125. I pointed it out, she entered kitchen aid appliances and there was something for that price so she gave it to me! I think I really pushed the limit when I opened a charge account and got an additional 20% off :lol: Seriously I felt like I should run out of the store with my face covered.

Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 12

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

[COLOR=404040]i do not know that-- but i sent in my vintage ka to the ka store in greenville oh -- it's 'green' something ohio -- their webpage must be being updated right now can't get on and confirm) [/COLOR]

[COLOR=404040]but anyway i sent in my 40+ year old ka and i gotta refurbished one -- so all that to say try that route and see where it gets you -- they told me that ka's life expectancy was something like 20 years -- who knew? i thought they could just refurbish my old one but it was better to trade it in --[/COLOR]

[COLOR=404040]so that might be an option for you and they could tell you about the bowl too[/COLOR]

Wow, I didn't know about the trading in thing and I wouldn't have thought about getting a refurbished one. I thought KAs were supposed to last a lifetime - like the Electrolux. This one was my second but only cause my first one was in a fire. Thanks for your help!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 12

i still can't get through on their website -- weird -- but the store is called "experience" it's in greenville ohio and i first got on the trade in bandwagon from speaking with a rep who informed me-- then i had occasion to call back a few times for more information as i was making up my mind & got different reps who gave me conflicting information -- such as no you can't ship in a trade in so if you want to do this -- contact the store peeps

but it also sounds like you could get yours fixed easier too -- you just can't go wrong really and remember mine was broken and they took it for trade in -- so pretty cool--

best to you

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 12

Ahttp://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pUo_ZU5xh3o

Maybe if your lucky it might only need a tuneup. ..here's a video on how to do that. ..hth..

Happy Baking. ..:grin: Kat

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 12

Quote:

Yep!  My mother-in-law's vacuum cleaner is an old Electrolux model that was actually bought new by her mother.  It has to be well over 50 years old and it still runs like new!  I've been through 3 vacuum cleaners in the last 20 years!

Sounds about right!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%