Covering Cakes

Decorating By Abs25 Updated 6 Aug 2014 , 5:05am by Apti

Abs25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abs25 Posted 4 Aug 2014 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 6

AI have a wedding cake that I have baked and frozen for this Saturday. Would it be ok to cover the cakes with buttercream and fondant on Thursday? Just worrying about them going stale.

Thanks

5 replies
JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 4 Aug 2014 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 6

It won't go stale...I always crumb coat let settle, then cover and decorate the next day.  The fondant helps seal it good.  Good luck!

Abs25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abs25 Posted 4 Aug 2014 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 6

ABrilliant!! Thanks!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 12:58am
post #4 of 6

I freeze cakes all the time.  I am a hobby baker and sometimes my shortness of breath really limits how much I can get accomplished in a 24 hour time frame.  My "best friend" is my upright, manual defrost, freezer that I reserve for cakes and cake stuff (like buttercream, shortening, and items nearing an expiration date).

Freezing stops the process of going stale.  Just last night, for instance, I baked two, 12"x2" high layers of sour cream white cake.  Each layer was placed on a cardboard wrapped in non-stick aluminum foil.  I lightly covered with a tea towel and let them cool completely, then wrapped each one (including the cardboard) in 3 layers of plastic wrap, [you may also wish to use heavy-duty aluminum foil over the plastic wrap] then placed in the freezer.   When I am ready to defrost, I take them out the night before I need to finish assembly and decorating, leave them STILL COMPLETELY WRAPPED on a counter for about 2 hours, then remove the wrapping.  Any condensation will form on the wrapping and not on the cake.

Tonight I will bake/cool/wrap/freeze the next two 12"x2" red velvet layers.

Tomorrow I will make buttercream and freeze it in freezer containers. 

Having a MANUAL defrost upright freezer prevents freezer burn, but automatic defrost freezers will work fine for a couple of weeks if that is all you have available.

My family and friends and cake club members have all given "thumbs up!" to my cakes, most of which are frozen after baking.  I personally see absolutely zero difference between a  well wrapped, carefully frozen, carefully defrosted cake and my cakes made fresh.

Bunny0410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunny0410 Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 2:32am
post #5 of 6

I have for the first time baked and put cakes in the freezer for this weekends cakes.

Am a little nervous, but after reading multiple thrreads on here, it seems to be acceptable, so fingers crossed it all goes ok.

Am a little happy that I will not be up all night friday baking... I hopefully can come home from work and start decorating!

(Insert happy dance here!!)

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 5:03am
post #6 of 6

Bunny0410~~I really hope that freezing will work as well for you as it has for me.  I now have four, 12"x2" cake layers in my freezer and will be baking 48 cupcakes this evening. 

Freezing fully decorated cupcakes is my favorite!  I am blessed with two local sources for clear, plastic cupcake containers that are fairly inexpensive for a hobby baker.  I have often baked, filled, frosted with American buttercream, placed in the plastic containers, then wrapped in plastic wrap or freezer bags.    When I take the cupcakes out of the freezer and give them away frozen, or let them defrost on a countertop, they taste as good (or better) than fresh-never-frozen cupcakes.

[Important note:  I am in the USA and although I can and do use fondant, I typically use American buttercream for most of my cupcakes and cookies.  If I am using fondant as a covering or as a decoration, I do NOT freeze.   Fondant cakes/cupcakes can be frozen, I just don't do it because I so seldom use fondant.]

Although many decorators work with frozen or cold cakes, I choose to let the undecorated cake layers almost completely defrost before I tort, fill, stack, etc.  I have an Agbay (LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and it will not cut through frozen cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%